Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
9 members (Bill Hanlon, Jon G, Ponchogl, dt235sd, rfs56trk, Steelonsteel, Maybellene, 49choptop, 1 invisible),
120
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,478 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 | I am new here and I am doing a lot of reading and research to see as to what direction I want to go with my truck. One think I see a lot is S10 frame swap. Isn't GMC Sonoma and Chevy S10 basically the same? Or is there is a difference in their frame and chassis setup? Also, is it possible to just bolt/weld the front cross member with all the front end parts to 47-54 trucks rather than the whole frame swap? Based on what I read the width of the frames are the same, isn't it? One last question, my truck is 3/4 ton, I am assuming the extended cab long bed would be a better choice for me due to my longer wheel base although I may still have to stretch the S10 frame by few inches. Am I thinking in the right direction? Thanks
Last edited by Self; 05/10/2019 3:05 PM.
1953 GMC 150: new member 1967 Chevy C20, 4 wheel 8 lug disc, 350 engine with Fitech carb (in progress) , T5 1972 Chevy Nova, 4 door sport sedan in the making  1979 Chevy Camaro Z28, 5,3 Vortec and TH350, 4 wheel disc and Hydroboost; Just about becoming summer daily driver
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | Same truck. If you're thinking V8 then the ones with the 4.3 V6 are the way to go. These also have the 700R4 overdrive transmission which many like. The S10/Sonoma trucks have a box frame from front bumper to rear of cab then it becomes a "C" channel which is very easy to lengthen or shorten. Cutting the welded in S10 cross member out of the S10 frame would be a task and do you know how to put it onto an AD frame RIGHT. Study up on caster, camber, anti dive, and Ackerman before beginning. If on a budget you can get all the stamped out pieces for Mustang II ifs and weld them together yourself (kind of like Ikea furniture). This setup will have the correct mounting angle for the cross member to frame fit and is the least expensive if the factory type springs, shocks, upper A-frame, and lower control arm is used. I would use the spread lower control arm that requires no strut rod. There is a 1950 3100 on the two post lift right now that has the M2 set up and ready to go except for steering shaft and shifter rod; total time to get to this stage---one day. Still needs V8 engine/trans mounts, driveshaft, and an Explorer rear end that will take another day to complete. Drive in with a 6 cylinder/3 or 4sp/ torque tube/drum brakes on Monday and drive out on Friday with a V8/OD auto/open rear/ power disc brakes/ all the bells and whistles.Have done so many of these that the guys could do it really fast if I let them turn the lights on.
Evan
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2014 Posts: 678 | You can use an S10 front clip on the original frame. I have a friend who did it, he said it worked great. I used a long bed on an S10 frame, but my approach was not to lengthen the frame but to shorten the box. The definitive Q and A to AD-S10 frame swaps can by found here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=632686
1951 Chevy Panel Truck
| | | | | Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2019 Posts: 17 | Thanks guys. Coilover: I am assuming you are talking about the stamped out IFS pieces that web sites such as speedway are selling, but what do you mean by factory type spring shocks etc? Do you mean S10 factory type front end component? Thanks
1953 GMC 150: new member 1967 Chevy C20, 4 wheel 8 lug disc, 350 engine with Fitech carb (in progress) , T5 1972 Chevy Nova, 4 door sport sedan in the making  1979 Chevy Camaro Z28, 5,3 Vortec and TH350, 4 wheel disc and Hydroboost; Just about becoming summer daily driver
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 2,832 | No, the Mustang parts---I can see the confusion.
Evan
| | |
| |