Some drums are riveted to the hub. If that's the case, either grind the heads off the rivets or carefully center-drill them to release the drum. It's probably not necessary to reinstall the rivets if the center hole of the new drum is a snug fit on the hub. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
If I am not mistaken, the drum is located on the back of the hub and therefore the studs start on the backside of the drum and go through the hub. I am not sure it is possible to remove the studs and reuse them. I know at least one of the truck part suppliers sells the studs along with the front drums.
Here are pics of my drum and hub. I do not see any rivets. It appears that the hub is 2 pieces (front and rear) pressed together with the studs holding it all in place. Does that sound correct? If so I assume the studs will have to be pressed out to separate the hub pieces?
1951 3100 Chevrolet 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall Image "A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams." "Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything" "If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Since the inside of the new drum is shaped differently than the old one, it might not be possible to use the sheet metal grease deflector shown in the inside view of your old drum/hub assembly. The fluted areas might not fit the smooth center of the new drum correctly. I think you'll find that both bearing races will mount into the outer portion of the 3-piece assembly that's held together by the studs. If so, leaving the sheet metal part out won't affect safety or the fit of the bearings on the spindle. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
These are great photos showing the construction of the replacement drums that they are now selling. I bought some several years ago and they were made in Argentina, I believe. Unlike the original drums, they are a one piece casting. The drum side dimensions are modified to make up for the added thickness at the center.