The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (wilbur53, burgundybolt, Jack Ryan, 1 invisible), 86 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,086
Posts1,056,331
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
I just got me an awesome desert project. Its a 1955 2nd short bed 248cubic inch. I got the 248 to start on barely the touch of the starter. I drove it around my yard one day then when I went to try and move it today it seems as if the clutch probably disinegraded. It's been parked since 1981. Are there any steps I should follow to replace the clutch? I'm assuming I remove the engine to make it easier? I've removed engines and cabs and stuff before but I've never done a clutch.

Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
W
back yard wrench turner
back yard wrench turner
W Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,712
Take the inspection cover off and look at the clutch to be sure you don't have another issue.


Wayne
1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
Stovebolt Gallery Forums
1989 Silverado
1996 Mustang GT convertible
When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
In addition to the good advice here, do consider purchasing a GMC repair manual --- there is a troubleshooting section at the end of each chapter as well as photos and procedure steps.


Last edited by tom moore; 04/05/2019 12:40 PM.

1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Follow the advice in the other posts.
Here is a maintenance manual that should match your truck.

If the clutch is bad, you do not have to remove the engine.

To confirm what you have:
What is the engine serial number that is pressed into the block rearward of the distributor?
What is the Vehicle Serial Number that is on a plate on the cab on the driver’s sidedoor opening, between the hinges?

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The engine SN referenced above should start with 248.... in your case. It is easier to loosen and slide the trans. back for clutch, etc., replacement.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
K
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 124
Thanks for the great info and for the manual!!!


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0