| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,353 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 | I have a 327sbc/th350 set up in my '52...a flex fan and a shroud keeps it at a normal (170-180) temp. on the highway and most cruising around town. It tends to overheat after being on the freeway and then sitting in stop and go traffic. I'm concidering putting a 16" pusher fan on to help with this. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 | Thanks alot, The truck's radiator is new, pump's OK and there's a new 180 thermostat. When I look for a 'fixed' blade fan, all I see are flex fans...should I be looking for a stock steel fan or are there good aftermarket fixed fans? I thought I would give this a shot since I already lowered the radiator a couple inches to set it more in-line with the fan and fitted a nice shroud. I'll try this with a 16" pusher that I can reverse if it doesn't work out. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2001 Posts: 154 | I didn't place my 350 far enough back and paid the price. Funny what another inch will do. I then had to modify the radiator supports the mounts on the radiator make a shroud and add a metal blade(from Speedway Motors). with the water pump/blade so low in the air flow you must have a shroud. See here http://community.webshots.com/user/zeker6 Zeke
The Amish Connection 51 Chevy 1/2 ton 5 window,Vortec hotrod, no horse
| | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | When I put the 16" electric fan in mine, we removed the mechanical fan altogether. Even while running the AC in hot weather, the engine temp stays ... no problem.
So why no forget about a mechanical fan and install a 16" puller fan, like I did?
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 1,067 | My favorite set up is a 7-bladed fixed fan on a fan clutch driven by the engine. They really seem to do the best overall job. I've got electric fans in my IROC daily driver and they work hard to keep the engine temps down. If the L98 allowed me to have a mechanical fan in the front, I would, but there's no room for that.
If you have to get an electric fan, you could get one of those high flow 4500 cfm double fans from Summit ($200 bucks) and they'll cool very well. Make sure you've got the largest alternator though, like a 140 amp or at least a 110 amp, because this fan set up uses 50 amps.
52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup 68 Big Block Vette 68 455 Firebird | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 1,554 | Are you using a shroud?I installed a shroud on my 55 and took the electric pusher fan off.With a shroud properly positioned your fan will pull more air thru the radiator.I see a lot of street rods at the car shows with no shroud and about a 6 inch gap between the radiator and the fan.This set up worked out good for me. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2003 Posts: 1,271 | I had intended to put a shroud on mine, but the engine (fan) was sitting so low it was only drawing against the bottom have of the radiator. That's when I decided to scrap the fan and put the electric fan in.
I guess with the Mustang II IFS, my 350 sbc sat lower than originally intended, eh?
~~ Alan Horvath 1954 Chevy PickupSinging his praises in thePassing Lane | | |
| |
| |