Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 | I went through the 46 steering box I got for my 41 and put it on only to find out the pitman arm will not go on when the steering is centered. The pitman arm (and drag link) is from a TF (55-59) because the PO put a TF front and rear end in it. That's fine, it's just that sometimes I feel like I'm going two steps forward and one step back.
My research from this site tells me my only option is to file out the 4 blind spots on the pitman arm to get the correct position on the sector shaft. Is that correct?
Thanks.
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 | We did that routinely on round track race cars with wildly modified steering systems. Use a 3-cornered file and simply make two splines out of the wide ones- - - -there are usually four equally-spaced wide splines. Once the splines are modified, you can clock the Pitman arm one notch at a time to find the most effective position. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Good process to do when watching a ball game or such, I have done several as Jerry suggests.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | I am wondering why you are not using the arm off the 1937-40 box you had in the truck? The pitman arm should fit right on the 1941-46 box.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 | Thanks for your help guys.....I'll start filing!
Dave, this area is all new to me, so I'm learning as I go. I didn't even know the truck had a TF front and rear in it until I started working on the brakes. When I got to the steering box, I didn't find out it was a 37-40 until I disassembled it. After putting the 41-46 box in, I thought I would be good to go. Then the pitman arm didn't clock correctly. I looked up the numbers on it to find out it is a TF arm.....which makes sense given the front end.
I looked up pics for the 41-46 pitman arm (I don't have one) and it doesn't look like it will work with the TF drag link - - - but I'm not certain of that.
But I do have another concern. With the steering box and front wheels centered, should the pitman arm be in the 12-6 position? A picture in the manual shows it that way and mine looks like it's going to be more like 5 o'clock. The drag link is not adjustable, so wondering if I'm going to need to deal with that also.
Thanks all for your help!
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 | Unless the Pitman arm is vertical, you'll probably end up with more travel one way than the other. Going to an adjustable drag link would be the wisest choice. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 | Thanks Jerry. That's what I figured. I'll see what I can find.
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 | I'd suggest removing the ball pivots from the Pitman arm and the steering arm, reaming the holes tapered, and using tapered-shank tie rod ends with RH and LH threads and a turnbuckle-type adjusting sleeve to fabricate a drag link. Then just turn the sleeve like you're adjusting toe-in to get the length right. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 1,002 | I'm almost there Jerry. I have the pitman arm filed out so it fits vertically. I don't trust my welding enough for a steering component, so I have an adjustable drag link on its way. The pitman and steering arm holes are already tapered and the drag link comes with the tie rod ends, so should be good to go after it arrives (2 weeks). Thanks again.
~ Victor 1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD 1957 3100 - moved on 1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on 1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on 1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,802 | Good choice! The only way I'd trust a welded steering component would be to make a sleeve to fit over both pieces with a bunch of big holes drilled into it, and "plug weld" every hole. Butt-welding a tie rod or drag link is just too much like playing Russian roulette to suit me! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |