HI there, I need help to ID this engine here are the #s I have collected so far. If any one needs pictures just ask.
1. Engine casting code 3835766 located in front of fuel pump two bolts holding valve cover down with slits on top. 2. Water pump casting code 839403 3. Water outlet on top, casting code 3836209 4. Engine head casting code 3695451 5. Exhaust man casting code 838387 6. Intake man casting code 938396 7. Carb Carter W1 8. Rear end casting code 1804207 closed drive shaft
Hy trihawker, the cylinder head casting number is one digit off of the part number of a 1951 Chevrolet cylinder head. This cylinder head could be found on any series 1951 Chevrolet truck except the 17 series which was GMC powered. This cylinder head could be found on a 216 or 235. Trihawker if you would like to PM your address and phone number I could come and have a look if you like.
my notes i wrote down a while ago... head casting 3695451 is for a Canadian 216 51-52, i have this head on one of my trucks in the junk pile on my farm don't know if that's 100% correct, don't recall where i read that, but i have 1 data point for 1951 on a 216
that head 3695451, could be found commonly on top of blocks 3695408 and 3835814, short side cover 216s the intake manifold bolt spacing for the carburetor is 2-3/4 inches for a 216, so unless someone mix/matched parts, if your carb bolts are that spacing and not a full 3 inches then you likely have a 216 block pull out one of the push rods, the 216 vs 235 are different lengths, the 235 got the majority of it's extra displacement with stroke increase, and so it needed longer push rods the piston diameter increase was only 0.062 inch -s
Hy trihawker, I think that casting date code interprets as July 13 1949. As to the valves all the Chevy sixes from at least 1937 to 1962 have the same valve arrangement, hope that helps.
I had the same head on my '52 half ton. In my opinion it is a '52 head or possibly '51 on a '49 block. That head was only used in '51 and '52 as far as I know.
If I am not mistaken, my head required a 235 head gasket even though it was a 216 engine block. Also, the manifold had larger ports, I believe the same size ports as would be found on a 235.
I suspect the block was cast in 1949 for use in a 1950 vehicle. In the US that head would have been used on 1950-52 powerglide cars and big trucks, both would be 235's. The rockers with the backbone running all the way across the top started in 1950 and was only used on 235's, again for US production.
sorry i didn't take any photos of the inside of that engine but since you have the cover off the rockers it's not much to pull a rod out and measure it now under 10.5 inch = 216 (10-7/16) over 10.5 inch = 235 (10-37/64) -s
yeah the long rod coming up from the camshaft, under each rocker, they are all identical, exhaust and intakes is the same part number on each respective engine. -s
I thought they used letters for months Starting with A for January and ending with L for December Then the J would be October The it would read Oct 13 1949 Date code. If I`m wrong some one chime in and if Some one knows I`m right let every one know too. Thanks every one The next thing to do is take a push rod out and measure it. So if the rod is 11.25 long then is it a 235 ci engine and has hydrolic lifters and a power drive trans?
Ok took 3 push rods out of the engine and measured them all 10 5/8 So looked on lengths given and still do not know what engine I have 2 pics of each end of the push rods. Can any one help
Ok from what I have been told The block was casted on Oct 13 1949 Engine head casting code 3695451 so it was used on a a 1950, 51, 52 engine Push rods are 10 5/8 very close to 10 37/64 So it is a 235 engine. More research required