I just rebuilt my Rochester type B carburator on my 1952 3100 with a 59 235 installed and noticed two rectangular holes in the air horn. These holes lead directly into the fuel bowl with no filtration. I suspect they may be associated with the oil bath filter that was replaced with a paper air filter by a previous owner. I am curious as to what the purpose of these rectangular holes are for. Any ideas
Last edited by Phak1; 03/04/20193:38 PM. Reason: Added picture
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Thanks for the info! It seems to me that the vents would allow dirt, water and other debris to enter the fuel bowl. Doesn’t sound like such a good solution. Thanks again!
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Nice find, 2MT! I like the directions on how to drill a vent hole to upgrade older model carburetors. There have been a lot of posts about "empty bowls at startup" which might be solved by this fix. Carl
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission