The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Forty9), 134 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
I have seen a few photos of 3100 pickups with travel trunks mounted in the bed. I'm guessing they are water proof and offer storage for luggage. Where are these trunks to be found? I've been searching the 'net without success. Can anyone refer me to a website that's selling these trunks? Thanks in advance.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
We use a hard shell car top carrier in the bed to put our luggage in when we travel in the pickup.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Tiny,

Do you attach it to anything?

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
There are all sorts of truck tool boxes out there. Your bed is about 50" wide inside, a good fit for a 48" box.
Try part number 725-30009-48 in this catalog for an example.
https://www.eastmfg.com/uploads/2/3/8/5/23858093/east_tool_boxes.pdf


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 693
if you are looking for the old fashioned steamer trunk look you can find them at flea markets, antique stores, 2nd hand/consignment places, etc. But I wouldn't consider them waterproof. You could clearcoat one and give a little protection but that won't keep out a driving rain. My truck is for sunny days so I do use an old steamer trunk.

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
This is a trunk I picked up at a swap meet that I plan to be using in ‘46. It’s an old touring trunk from a Cadillac. It’s is great shape, but will need some cleaning etc.

Attachments
BA027025-66CC-4CFC-A585-C4D86057CDBD.jpeg (349.19 KB, 281 downloads)

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Originally Posted by tclederman
Tiny,

Do you attach it to anything?
We just lay it in the bed. It's far too heavy to blow out.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
I had this made and then put the finish on it for the 42. I would trash bag any clothing luggage in it. Both our corvette travel bags will fit in it and other. It has 2 lags/fender washers to the bed floor.. Poplar and oak -- stained and clearcoated with Duplicolor Bed Armor inside/back/bottom.
Attachments
20180926_160304_resized.jpg (148.29 KB, 259 downloads)
Bed chest 1.JPG (149.76 KB, 247 downloads)
Bed chest 6.JPG (135.44 KB, 238 downloads)

Last edited by 42465967; 01/30/2019 9:30 PM. Reason: words

1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I like the two lags in the floor.

I also like your box, 42465967.

Otherwise, I'd not like the damage/harm if there was a hard accident.
I seem to have Joe Btfsplk - a perpetual accident-cloud and bad-luck cloud floating over me.


Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
4
DLBrooks
DLBrooks
4 Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 236
Grigg --- That Step and Store II from East would be nice and a good filler on my 46 3/4 ton passenger side -- because I have big truck running boards. I would paint it black. Also thanks tc.

Last edited by 42465967; 01/30/2019 9:56 PM. Reason: words

1959 GMC 100 Fleet
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
Our travel/tool box is home made from marine grade plywood. The wife's suitcase fits nicely, along with a hefty tool box, jack and other odds and ends. My suitcase is a old Samsonite that I've coated with bed liner and used silicone gasket maker to make it fairly water tight. We also carry heavy duty garbage bags for rainy weather.

The Luckenbach sign is now mounted on the box as well.
Attachments
IMG_0294.JPG (226.21 KB, 224 downloads)


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,214
My basic road box made out of scrap tongue and groove planks.
Pic 1
Pic 2

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by 42465967
Grigg --- That Step and Store II from East would be nice and a good filler on my 46 3/4 ton passenger side -- because I have big truck running boards. I would paint it black. Also thanks tc.
If you order one you can ask to have anything that was diamond plate just be made of smooth aluminum, a better look for an antique truck I think.

I have my eye on an under bed side box with double doors hinged left and right. (In the larger catalog)


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
I have seen some fiberglass? replicas around town?

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
E
New Guy
New Guy
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 8
Thanks for the info and ideas.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
We have a regular tool box for our clothes and luggage but found it leaked at the two center lid hinges. Had our upholstery guy sew up a weather proof slip on cover (think shower cap) that can be installed in less than a minute. All dry since.


Evan
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2018
Posts: 37
Good Lord guys haven't even thought far enough ahead about travel storage. The school teacher and I do want to travel with the 59 that is why I put a 700R4 behind the 383, there is so many great ideas here! Problem is anything mechanical I can build or fix comes to carpenter work forget it! But do like the wood box look; comes to staining and finishing yep I can do that. So now I have to get with a friend who is a cabinet maker and see what we can come up with! Will be asking more questions from you all soon.

Thanks I think

Pops


Pops the truth is out there!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
You can find both Thule (as what Tiny is showing) and Yakima storage boxes on your local craigslist. My issue is where to store it when not being used.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
I built a trunk for the back of my truck. To hold it in place I just took out two of the bed wood bolts and replaced them with longer ones that went through the bottom of the trunk and the bed wood. I drilled holes in the bottom of the trunk from under the truck so that I knew that everything lined up when I dropped the bolts in from the inside of the trunk.

George

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
What a good and simple idea/solution, George

Thanks

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,644
Found this on the web. Some people are just too talented!!!
Attachments


Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (all original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
My box is at least 20 years old and weathered. It's the biggest I could make from 1 sheet of 3/4" plywood and a sloping lid. It has "parting stop" around the lid edge. I've never had a drop of water get inside.

Attachments
Winter Weight.jpg (51.48 KB, 89 downloads)


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0