The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Flint48, Red75bronco, 78buckshot, Leo, wvstovebolt, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 88 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
C
Moderated
Moderated
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Hello, just joined this forum. I recently bought a ‘57 and while at a local (Boise) hardware store another customer told me he had a ‘54 for sale and would I like to see it. The truck is a ‘54 SB 5 window, 4spd with a very solid body. Upon initial inspection I found a tiny bit of rust on the drivers floorboard. The owner wants 5k and I am definitely interested. Here are my questions...
1. Is there a bolt on 4spd “modern” transmission upgrade?
2. What is the best rear end replacement?
3. What are your thoughts on a Total Cost Involved front IFS while keeping the 235 engine

What I am looking for is cruising at 80 mph with some mods tho the engine like Fenton intake and split exhaust, electronic ignition, mild cam, and taller gears. All this coupled with the ability to brake.

Any advice is appreciated, james

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
80 MPH with a 235 is wishful thinking, and if you do manage to get it up to that speed you will be a hazard to everyone on the road, including yourself. Dual carbs and headers on a 235 are just eye candy- - - -the truck will usually run better on the single carb/single exhaust. The cylinder head in between those parts is incapable from benefitting from the increased carburetion and exhaust volume. If you want an inline six rig that will run those kinds of speeds, you'll need to go with a Chevy 292, a Ford 300, or maybe a Jag or Toyota Supra powertrain. While you're at it, graft in the front and rear suspension and brakes from a sports car.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,236
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,236
If that truck is as solid as you say, don’t change it. Go drive it, see what you think. When you do drive it, enjoy the ride!

I lived in VA and drove my truck in traffic. Everyone screamed past me every day. They were all going nowhere fast. I just went my own speed and enjoyed the slower pace, not to mention the views around me.

I will say that my stock 216 does 70mph at around 3,200 rpms after I put 3.55 gears in the rear. I can’t pull a load, but I can enjoy the ride. That is what it’s all about. You will see!

Good luck,

Chris

Last edited by ndkid275; 01/14/2019 5:41 AM.
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Hey CaptJames, If you don't end up buying that 54, you mind giving me the guy's contact info? I am also here in Boise and am looking for something in that vintage.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0