The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, 2 invisible), 60 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,636
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
New to the site.

I know you guys have covered this over and over. And I've read so many articles about engine, transmission, and rear end.

I just brought home a 47-55 3/4 frame with the mustang ii suspension work already fabricated.

First question:

Even though the 3/4 ton rear end was shorter than the 1/2 could I still use an explorer rear end and adjust the tire width? With that in mind I'd like to also point out I would like to use a 383 stroker or 454 back by a muncie 4 speed (would love a t56 or tko600 but they're not in my budget). Everywhere I go they say good and bad thing about different combos. I'm not trying to race or anything but i want the hp to be there.

Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
For safety and other considerations it is best not to put overly wide tires and wheels on a half ton rear axle. GM 14 bolt rear axles (6 or 8 lug) are cheap, plentiful, lots of ratios, disc brakes.

Ford 9" axles would work with IFS, too.

Ed

Last edited by EdPruss; 01/01/2019 11:06 PM.

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
Thank you for the response. I know everything that will work on a half ton truck. But can I use the 60" rear end on a 3/4 ton AD? I know the 3/4 came stock with a 52" rear. But in theory if the box is the same width as a half ton it shouldn't matter, right? Maybe I'm missing something.

Brandon

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
Thanks for the reply. I guess my real question is, will I be able to use a 60" on a 3/4 ton bed/frame. The 3/4 stock were 52" but if the width of the bed is the same as a 1/2 it shouldn't present an issue, right?

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
I'm actually doing something similar as you with my 54 3600. IFS, Explorer rear.

You shouldn't have any trouble with the Explorer rear. There's probably a few thousand vintage trucks running around with them.

You're right, the bed is the same width on the 3100 up to 3800 trucks. The big difference is in the frame. The 3600 trucks have a narrower frame in the rear and they are spring-over axle vs. spring under axle.

With the narrower axle, you'll have to go conservative on your wheel backspacing and tire width, unless you plan on tubbing the bed or widening fenders. I haven't got my rear installed yet, just the IFS, so I can't really help on what backspace you'll need.



1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
Thank you for your Input. That's exactly what I was looking for. It's been tough trying to find answers to my questions about 3600. Get me updated if you run into any other issues. Likely for myself the IFS was already installed in fabricated on the frame So that Avoids that headache

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
I sincerely hope that M-II setup isn't one of the ones that puts the front bumper a couple of inches off the ground. Besides making the truck look like a hound dog that's just had a close encounter with a skunk, it won't really matter what kind of rear axle you install. The truck will be a hazard to navigation at any speed above parking lot cruising.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
The Explorer rear is 58" wide which is 3" wider on each side from a 52" rear. If heavy loads are in the picture you might consider going with the "C" clip eliminator kit. we have had good luck with the 8.8 Ford rear, both open and limited slip. The book shows a lot of different ratios but the ones we get are usually 3.73.


Evan
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46

Originally Posted by coilover
The Explorer rear is 58" wide which is 3" wider on each side from a 52" rear. If heavy loads are in the picture you might consider going with the "C" clip eliminator kit. we have had good luck with the 8.8 Ford rear, both open and limited slip. The book shows a lot of different ratios but the ones we get are usually 3.73.

I'm looking at the same Gear ratio in the one I'm buying. I'm not really looking to do any hauling I have a work truck for that. I've looked into the eliminators but found with the disk brakes they are not necessary.

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,775
The 8.8 is plenty strong. My 2009 truck with an 8.8 has a GAVW rating of 6900 lbs. In my book, not too shabby. I know Ford de-rated the Explorer 8.8 slightly because they use the smaller 5x4.5 wheel and tire combo, but everything else about the axle is equivalent. We're putting them in a 3500lb truck, I think it'll do just fine. Even an older 28 spline version will do the trick. The Mustang guys beat up on them for years. As far as the C-clip eliminators go, I don't see the point unless you're doing a 10 second pass or rock-crawling.


1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 46
Jerry, it's a stock mustang 2 its. Not lowered. I'm not looking to scrape my driveway with my freshly built truck. If I does then I will definitely address it asap. That's just not my style.

Brandon


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0