The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1290155 12/07/2018 2:13 AM
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Good evening guys!

Just throwing this out for some discussion.

So, back in the summer when I pulled the 235 engine out of my 54 Chevy pickup for overhaul, before reinstalling it, I cleaned up the torque tube and when the engine / tranny went back in, I installed a new gasket in the torque tube u joint bell, and new packing in the retainer with the 2 metal washers on both sides.

Got everything back together and drove the truck a few times and the torque tube was dry as a bone, then I had a transmission problem and had to replace it recently, and since getting everything back together and driving it a couple hundred miles, I now have a leak at the u-joint bell retainer.

Not sure if I should unscrew it and try to see what's going on, but looking for some thoughts.

Thanks!!

Kevin
Attachments
Torque Tube.PNG (504.24 KB, 345 downloads)

Last edited by kthomas; 12/07/2018 2:14 AM.

1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Is it leaking at the ball or the knurled nut which you have circled?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Is it leaking at the ball or the knurled nut which you have circled?

Hey Carl!

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. It's leaking at the knurled nut where the packing and 2 metal washers is. The question is, how would you address this leak, since everything is new?

Kevin.

Last edited by kthomas; 12/07/2018 2:51 AM.

1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Moderator: Interiors, Texas Bolters, Name that Part
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,234
Mine did this and I grabbed a pair of large channel lock pliers and tightened it a little more. Now my 216 provides all the ground markings saying I have been there.

Chris

Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
That part is called a Torque Tube Retainer. U-joint ball assembly
The ball seat in the photo is for the Hydra-Matic and Powerglide trans.
The manual trans ball seat is machined into the Tail Housing.
Manual trans. uses a 4 bolt hole ball collar.
HM & PG trans use a 6 bolt hole ball collar.

There are several reasons why the Torque Tube Retainers start to leak.
1. Missing O-Ring steel washers, 2 are required Picture and HERE
2. Retainer is not threaded on tight.
3. End of Torque Tube is scored and is tearing oil seal.
4. End of Torque Tube O.D. is wore down. Look at slides 35 thru 46 GM film strip.
5. Universal Ball housing I.D. is wore down. Replace
6. Oil seal does not have enough sponge tension to keep the Retainer tight. Rubber oil seals have better sponge tension than cork.

Tightening the retainer makes the seal bulge, pushing down onto the end of the torque tube, making a seal.
When the rubber or cork oil seals gets old and hard, they loose tension and don't bulge any more, and there
is no longer any back pressure on the threads, which keeps the retainer cap from loosening.

Parts illustration
Graphite grease might help
Torque Tube in Living Color

There is also a lot of down pressure at the u-joint ball housing / torque tube
connection from weight, torque and when applying the brakes.
You could give the ball housing a Girdle
Picture 1 , Picture 2, Picture 3, Picture 4
It clamps around the tail of the U-Joint ball housing and the torque tube.
Its soul purpose was to prevent the torque tube from drooping/sagging downward.
But that's a band aid.

check attachment

xfiles
Attachments
torquetubedrooping.jpg (36.81 KB, 274 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 899
Awhile back someone mentioned that National #327 O-ring might fit the bill. Haven't tried it but maybe someone else has.


Ed
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 313
Originally Posted by Forty9
Awhile back someone mentioned that National #327 O-ring might fit the bill. Haven't tried it but maybe someone else has.

It seems I read somewhere one time about using an o-ring. When I replaced all the gaskets recently, I just used that cork gasket in the retainer between the 2 washers and it was leak free until I had to remove the transmission and apparently when I put it back together this time, it went to leaking.

Kevin


1953 3100 with 1957 235, T5 and 12 bolt 373 rear
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Because parts of that whole assembly are prone to leaking, especially when doing a "reseal" with used seals/gaskets, whenever I disconnect the enclosed driveline at the u-joint, I spend the $$ on the gasket kit:

https://www.classicparts.com/1935-54-U-Joint-Ball-Gasket-Seals/productinfo/92-111/

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
The seal at the knurled nut on the tube is compressed by tightening the knurled nut, making a tight seal. Unless the seal is cracked, just tightening the knurled nut will stop your leak.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by tclederman
Because parts of that whole assembly are prone to leaking, especially when doing a "reseal" with used seals/gaskets, whenever I disconnect the enclosed driveline at the u-joint, I spend the $$ on the gasket kit:.
I agree, once the seal has been broken, you are better off to start fresh again.
Sad but true.

Originally Posted by 52Carl
The seal at the knurled nut on the tube is compressed by tightening the knurled nut, making a tight seal. Unless the seal is cracked, just tightening the knurled nut will stop your leak.

That advice will work only if the seal is still supple.
To bad there isn't away to just replace the retainer oil seal, without removing the the ball housing.

Example: Unscrew retainer cap, slide 1 washer froward, take out old oil seal,
cut and put in new oil seal, slide washer rearward, screw on retainer cap. Done
But you would have to figure out away to reconnect the splice in the oil seal.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Super glue works to make custom O rings from bulk stock. I've made dozens of them when repairing hydraulic equipment. If you can find some flat seal material instead of round, it might be worth a try.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
If the o-ring I need matches the diameter of vacuum hose I have, I've used that. And if you need a gasket for your air cleaner to carb, vacuum hose is good to use for that, also. I made one of those around 1980 and I'm still using it today. Just cut so the ends butt together, get about a 3/4" long piece of copper wire that fits in the center, bend that to the right arc and join the two ends as Jerry says...or I've also used rtv to glue them together and a product called GOOP (which is white but works ok).


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
There are several sizes of square seal ring material listed on Ebay right now, in dimensions from 3/16" to 1/2". I can think of all sorts of uses for that stuff. Search for "Square Buna-N O ring"
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by Jon G
Just cut so the ends butt together, get about a 3/4" long piece of copper wire that fits in the center, bend that to the right arc and join the two ends as Jerry says...or I've also used rtv to glue them together and a product called GOOP (which is white but works ok).

That would work,
And when tightening the retainer cap try to keep splice on top away from the bottom of the torque tube.

Maybe you could drill a hole in the retainer cap and inject some kind of silicone in, after it drys tighten the cap.

xfiles
Attachments
retainer rubber oil seal washers.jpg (94.83 KB, 156 downloads)
retainer rubber oil seal washers 2.jpg (117.26 KB, 178 downloads)
retainer rubber oil seal washers 3.jpg (66.41 KB, 152 downloads)


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0