My Chev 1951 Model 3800 has had brake problems. I rebuilt the Master cylinder last week, blead the brakes and had a good hard pedal -- only to find it went to the floor the next morning, the Master Cylinder was drained and no brakes. It turned out my Hydra Vac unit was passing brake fluid to the vacuum line and the engine was sucking it in and smoking a storm. I have since plugged the vacuum line off but have not tried to bypass or remove the Hydra Vac unit (and it still uses oil I guess through the diaphram).
My questions are what is the best option with the Hydra Vac? remove it and not have one, rebuild it or buy a replacement. Also, where is the best place to buy the part or rebuild kit? Anyone else have trouble with these units - hope its not a commone problem?
Thanks,
Randy Wilson
Eureka, Montana
1951 Chevy 3800