The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (46 Texaco, sron48), 146 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,313
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
Hi,
I am putting my truck together from parts so I don't have a complete truck to look at for reference. So......the rear upper mounts for the front fenders (on the cab) are in a bad state of repair. Can someone tell me if they are bolts or nuts encapsulted to allow for movement (alignment)? Can someone point me to a few pics and/or a listing of where I can buy them or how to repair them?
Carl


CCB
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
Just my 2 cents but for me, reassembling with out reference books would be like trying to work a puzzle blindfolded. Two books you might want to pick up are:
• Chevy Truck Shop Manual
• Chevy Truck Factory Assembly Manual
Plenty of pictures...


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you can't buy replacements for those mounts - get the assembly manual, look at the pics, build a 'tower' with a nut welded in the center, hope ya get it right - they have no movement, position is all

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
If you are rebuilding it from nothing, it wouldn't hurt to make captive nuts that allow for some movement, then you can fit it up a lot easier.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
C
Apprentice
Apprentice
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 23
4onthefloor,
Creating a capsulated nut was what I had in mind, but I wasn't sure what was in there originally. I'll give it a try and post the results when I finish!
Thanks for the input guys!
Carl


CCB
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 615
LMC now sells the cowl cheeks with that mount in place

about 4-5 months ago I asked the same question you are asking and Lane Fotty-a Stovebolter responded by saying he had two if I wanted them. Talk about a random act of kindness! What a guy. These were the 58-59 style(round) as apposed to the 55-56 style square. Just welded them on this past Sat. I have a stamping background and toyed with tooling these mounts up...but I'm not sure the demand is there...so I went back to being a slacker. If I was going ro make one..I found just the right size freeze plug that made a nice tower...drill a hole..weld a nut ...viola! As mentioned above, placement is everything.

Keith


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0