The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (WICruiser, 1955 1 Series), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,141
Posts1,056,471
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** I dropped my 261 engine mfg. date 01-1963 off at Allard Machine in Ennis Texas yesterday for a complete rebuild. While loading it for transport I noticed the plunger that is said what makes it a bypass flow or a full flow oil filter system was flush with the engine block. ** My question what should be the position of the plunger for a full flow oil filter?? I've seen it posted both ways {plunger in & plunger flush} for full flow. I plan on using an orig. full flow filter so I thought I had better ask the experts as to what position the plunger should be in for a full flow oil filter. Many Thanks To The Experts. Your Time And Effort Is Greatly Appreciated.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I am not an expert, marzac,

I have read here that on a full-flow 261 engine, you cannot (easily) go back to by-pass-only flow.
My somewhat logical conclusion is that pushing the plunger/plug inwards, results in full-flow filtration.

Wait to hear from others.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Online: Content
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
I have a 261 with full flow but I don't remember a plunger when I installed it in 2004. Is this a bypass valve so the oil filter is bypassed on cold startup? I have a NAPA 1072 spin on filter which has its own bypass valve.


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
To get full flow filtration, push the plunger IN until it bottoms, about 5/8" or so. It will be extremely difficult to move, and hammering on it with a big flat tipped punch and a BFH runs a distinct risk of cracking the block casting. I'd suggest drilling and tapping the plug, pulling it out of the block with a long bolt and a spacer, and either fabricating a new plug that's a very snug slip fit, or polishing the original plug a little. It would be wise to pull the plug out in any case, to do a very good job of cleaning out any sludge that has deposited itself in the passageways over several decades.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
You could not have picked a better machine shop than Allard's. I started using them in the 60's when Jimmy was a young guy working for his dad, Walter, who was a genuine genius. He invented the cam grinding machine that made racing cams possible. Before that each machine was set up to grind one kind of cam only for one engine only. He also built a half a sbc for his midget years before anyone heard of SESCO and his last midget engine was a Vega short block with a single overhead cam hemi head. He made it all from scratch including the hemi pistons. I bought a super modified from Jimmy and years later he bought it back to make a nostalgia racer (picture). One of the few places that have both an engine and chassis dyno.
Check out the wall of plaques and awards in the shop.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/NyZxRcZT/winged-modified-001.jpg[/img]


Evan
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
Just had an idea- - - - -instead of hammering on the slide valve, how about using a big C clamp or a ball joint press to push it into the "full flow" position? With the oil pan off, that should be a good possibility, depending on the shape of the crankcase on the inside.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 306
** I failed to mention to Jimmy that I wanted the plunger positioned to the full flow oil filter position so I will visit him again today. When I dropped the 261 off at Allards Jimmy said he had not had a 261 in his shop for a long time but had rebuilt lots of them back in the day. After my first visit with him I have no doubt that Allards Machine Shop was a great choice for the over-haul thanks to a fellow Stovebolters recommendation.

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I am not sure if you are building the motor as a restoration or not but I will just mention that the stock truck 261 oil filter had issues. Apparently the full pressure was sometimes too much for the hoses and they would fail spraying hot oil all over the place, including on to the exhaust manifold. If I remember correctly, it was not necessarily anything to do with the housing or filter itself, but with the hoses being too close to the exhaust manifold on the big trucks, the heat causing the rubber to fail, even with the steel shield. I have been told over the years that there was a service bulletin on this but I will be darned if I can find it. Just food for thought when it comes time to select some lines for the filter housing.


Mike
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The original equipment in some years was a metal "stand off" tube from each port on the block (maybe started being used in later years). A heavy duty hose was used between the stand-off tube and the filter head.

I do not think that my 1960 and 1959 hoses had those stand-off tubes.

I think I might have used 3" stainless steel pipe as stand-offs?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,819
I'd suggest using 1/2" X 4" NPT black iron pipe nipples in the block to clear the exhaust system, and "single braid" hydraulic hose for the flex lines. It's rated for 3000 PSI working pressure with hydraulic fluid, so engine oil pressure shouldn't bother it at all. Any hydraulic shop or farm supply store, and most NAPA stores can custom make that hose to any configuration you need.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0