So I got a nice little Dayton (Grainger) 12 rpm gear motor with a fractional hp AC motor. I’m using it to drive the welding positioner that I’m making. The motor is a brushed motor so it can be speed controlled by varying the voltage with a Variac. There are four wires to this motor, two connect to the line (L1 & L2), and the other two are bound together. To reverse the direction, the two that were connected to the line, are bound together and the other two are then connected to the line. I’ve been beating my head against the wall trying to figure a simple switch for reversing the motor. The problem comes in with the two wires, that when switched, need to tie together when you switch the line connection. Any lectricians or lectronics whiz kids out there that can offer a suggestion for a switch and maybe sketch up a simple schematic to accomplish this?????? And yes.....there are..... lots of parts waiting to be spun up on this...the newest of my shop tools. Thanks, Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Have to connect some wires to that switch Grigg and see if it will work (on paper). Actually thought of using a 4PDT switch, but brushed it aside when I hit up all the hdw stores and couldn't find one. Thanks dg
Thanks Mike, Grigg's drawing works and is simple. . Had a chance to mentally run the wires the way you drew them Grigg, works great. And I just finished ordering a couple of 4PDT switches from Parts Express. That's been buggin' me and holding up my finishing my Welding Positioner. Thanks again guys for your input. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
OK, I had to look up welding positioners. It's so you don't have to stand on your head welding around a pipe or other stuff. Kind of like the rotisserie I built for patching my cab. The prices I saw would drive me toward building one if I needed one.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Yep, ya got that right Kevin. The one that I've patterned mine after runs close to three grand by the time you ship it to me. It will hold 200 lb., will take 1 1/2' thru the spindle and use standard 3 or 4 jaw chucks or face plates. I've made my living for many years as a welder and have used weld positioners on many jobs. Always wanted one for home use but never could justify the expense. The last few years I've been determined to have some of the tools that I never could afford while I was working. I built a motorized bead roller and English wheel last winter and added a foot shear, slip roll and slitter to the shop this past summer. Also picked up a Ben Pearson exhaust bender which I'm in process of restoring. The problem is........I'm 76 and starting to feel the pain. A word of advice to any of you youngsters out there.....don't wait till your 75 years old to equip your shop with those tools that look appealing to you now. It's much more fun to play with that stuff when you're a sprout. Now I'm darn sure gonna have to live to 100 to make use of these new toys! Denny Graham Sandwich, IL