The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 191 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1283639 10/15/2018 1:33 AM
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
I'm installing power door locks and windows in a '53 3100. I bought the stainless steel flexible hose (conduit) type wire loom for the door jam, but upon further inspection, it doesn't look like it a viable option. Can anyone share what they did for their truck to gets wires to the door through the jam? Thanks in advance.

Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Most of the doors i've messed with that had power windows and/or locks use a rubber boot between the door and the body. I hooked up power windows temporarily by running the wires from the cab to an existing hole in the door near the hinges. it is obvious that I'm not finished with it tho.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Use a piece of heater hose to connect a couple of holes, one drilled in the door jamb and another in the door itself. A hole saw the right size to make the hose a snug fit makes the installation pretty simple.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
In later A-D panel-body trucks (maybe 48/49) with rear doors, a solution similar to the metal-coil & hole near the hinge is what the factory used to route a wire into the rear-light-housing mounted on one of the rear doors.

Prior to that (maybe up to 1948/49), two metal mating-contacts were used on the door and the cab frame. Contact/light-on was made only when the door was closed, and, no-contact/no-light when the door was open.

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
As Rusty mentions:

This

or this

The basic idea, also used in Tim's rear door metal coil example, is to have the jamb end fastened and the door end sliding/floating in and out of a hole/sleeve in door.
As far as Tim's mention of coil. I have had several TF barn door suburbans and panel trucks, I have used the old fashioned tubing benders, which are still available, as a loom. They would be pretty noisy to use on cab doors.
There are some tail light looms that could work.
I searched door popper, electric window and lock, aftermarket companies.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Here/attached-below is the factory/original conduit (it looks like a spring) from the body to a rear door on my 1954 Suburban.

The conduit wire/coil/spring-like-tube is thick, but the conduit bends somewhat easily.
You will see a rubber grommet in the body and in the door.
The conduit in held in place inside the door, and slides into the body when the door is closed.
Attachments
sub rear lamp conduit 800.jpg (36.03 KB, 142 downloads)

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The second link is quite nice, Bartamos

"Universal 12" Door Loom (AUTDLOOMBL) by AutoLoc®. 1 Pair Hide Those Wires! Autoloc’s Billet Door Loom Kits hide those unsightly wires that run through your vehicle. Ideal for door jams, trunks, hoods, or anywhere you need to run wires that are visible. The Billet Door Loom includes a pair of heavy-duty 3/8 ID teflon lined stainless steel braided hoses, jam nuts and billet aluminum hardware that resists rust for a lifetime of beauty."

eBay
Attachments
door-wire-spring kit.jpg (28.88 KB, 130 downloads)

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
...and a pretty reasonable price. $34.42 a pair on Amazon, free ship.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Amazon. I receive no benefit from info given about Amazon products. They are not part of my investment portfolio. I do not have an investment portfolio.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
I'm cheap - I'd buy from the eBay seller that I linked-to (I do not know that seller) - save $5 (same product).

Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Thanks everyone. I ordered a pair of jam wire looms from Specialty Power Windows, which is the power window setup I'm using. Their loom is like a spring which I think will offer the added flexibility needed since the door hinge doesn't create typical symmetrical hinged opening. I'll post pics when installed.

Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2016
Posts: 41
Here's a follow up. Installed the "spring" wire looms and work good. Only negative is you hear the spring rubbing on the collars each time you move the door.


Attachments
door jam.JPG (166.25 KB, 38 downloads)


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0