The T5 was one of the best decisions that I made for this thing. I love it. The S10 version put the shifter in the exact perfect location with the bench seat. (I helped it a bit with the Hurst extension and short throw conversion) I'm glad the rear end was rebuild-able with the 3.90 gear ratio. That seems like the best setup for this truck with the 350 small block up front. I haven't had it much above 60 mph yet, but next summer I'm planning on driving it a lot.
Finally getting some decent days here in central Michigan. I switched out the headlight switch last week. Got the dash lights working for the first time in decades. Woohoo!
The interior has been a weak spot on this truck. The dash is a bit butchered up from a previous owner. I figured a body guy would have to fix that when the truck got painted, That isn't going to be any time soon. I was reading thru this thread and saw a post from Dads50 . (See pic below from Dads50 truck) I started to think maybe I could do the interior myself. I called a local welder-fab guy that I've used and been happy with. He came over and said he could weld in a patch where the radio hole butchery is. I just want the whole area filled in. Decided to install an electric wiper set-up before my access hole got filled in. I ordered that today. Hopefully I'll install it next week. Between the two local hardware stores they had both bronze Rust-oleum colors.
Came up with an idea for a radiator overflow bottle. (Not entirely original, I've seen whisky bottles used before) Wasn't sure how to mount it so I called a local leather craftsman that made a holster for me. I sent him (B.E. Long Leatherworks, Thanks Bernie!) the pic of me holding the bottle and asked him to come up with something. I really liked how it came out, then thought up the copper tubing idea. I realize it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I like it. Kinda Steampunk meets Virginia still.
Got the electric wiper kit in. That was a bear to do. Pretty sure I did everything wrong, but it seems to work just fine. Took hours to get in and more to get it timed in. I ended up timing in the driver's side then bending the passenger's side connecting arm into submission until it worked. The switch with the original style knob just wouldn't fit so I make a bracket and mounted it under the dash. I'll put the original switch back in and change the functioning knob later when I paint the interior. The other challenge is that the speedometer won't go back in with the wiper motor in place. My hope is that when I take the gauge cluster to freshen it up I can put the speedo back in first, then the gauge cluster. No way I'm taking the wiper motor out again! Got the wipers on too. They're not exactly where I want them but that's a project for another day. And the wiring mess will need to be cleaned up one day.
Last edited by Just Mark; Sat Mar 21 2020 01:19 PM.