The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (MickeyP, Oswald, Barry Martak, Jon G, moparguy), 98 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,381
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Hello All,

I am preparing to do the 4:11 to 3:55 swap. I have the whole, Patrick's Ring & Pinion kit. Including all of the bearings, shims and gaskets. While I wait for the weather outside in Arizona cool down, still over a 100 here everyday. Will be working in my garage. Nearly that warm out there. I the meantime, I am trying to gather up all the tools that I am going to need for the conversion. The only thing that I don't have, are the Carrier Bearing Adjusting Wrenches. Where did you guys that have done the conversion, get your Adjusting Wrenches? Or, did you make do with something else. Say, a screwdriver and a hammer. I think I would prefer to use the correct tools for the job. Any advice and or direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
I have adjusted hundreds of carrier bearings with a flat-ended punch and a hammer (NOT a screwdriver- - - -that's too shade tree even for me!) If you just have to have an excuse to buy another tool search Ebay for "adjustable pin spanner wrench"- - - - -there are dozens of them there at bargain prices- - - - - -under 10 bucks!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,611
I made one out of some bar stock and round stock.

Attachments
IMG_2405 (2).JPG (29.85 KB, 41 downloads)


1941 Chevy 1 1/2-ton WW2 4x4 dump truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Lots more pictures
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 265
Jerry & Paul,

That is just the type of direction and advice that I was looking for. I have never had the occasion to have to adjust the carrier bearings. So, my knowledge of it, is only what I have read. All of the pictures that I have seen with the instructions had a specialty tool. I had not considered the adjustable option. You guys have certainly steered me in the right direction. Now, all I have to do is do the conversion, without screwing it up. Thank you again for your direction and advice.

Rugo


Steve Rugg
53 3100

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0