The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (CandoBrent, Guitplayer, 50Chevy3100), 155 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,211
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1278945 09/04/2018 12:14 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Anyone have a stereo in their stock AD with 6 volt?

I have a 6 to 12 converter with a digital media receiver. Same as a CD player without the CD player. Just two speakers.

Stereo mounts in the removable console I built with the speakers under the bench seat.

Is this going to be okay on my stock 6 volt generator?

Thanks Don
Attachments


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,800
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,800
What's the current draw on the 6V with the converter operating? Unless you're running some speakers with an obscene wattage rating, you'll probably be OK. Another approach to power the system might be one of the small gel cell 12V batteries and a trickle charger, and/or a solar panel that can be used for a recharge of the dedicated battery when the truck is parked. That would allow you to run the sound system for several hours at a time, completely independent of the 6V charging system, and put no stress on it at all.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
Jerry

Like a house battery in a boat. I have considered that route. Certainly could find a place to mount the battery.

The converter is rated at 10 amps continuous 12 amp peak. Can’t find anything on the stereo media player but it’s all digital and doesn’t play CDs. I have a small smart charger permanently mounted in my truck so I maintain the battery anyway.

Thx Don


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 370
In my quest to keep it stock. This was my latest hurtle. 6 volt converter works great. I’m not noticing any difficulty keeping my battery up. I installed everything so I can have it completely out of site for car shows. It also really looks bad when placed in a 72 year old truck. The stereo is controlled with a remote and the XM unit is removed and placed out of site when not used. The stereo is a digital media player, no CDs. It’s only 4 1/2” deep.

It sounds just like a high end stereo should sound in a 55 gallon drum😉

Don
Attachments


Can’t begin to tell you how much I hate the name Stovebolt.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0