The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (papas52, fonz8261, 39Master85, Phak1), 111 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,625
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Never done it before but always wanted to. My '51 GMC had a really cool look to it when I bought it but it was so oxidized that you couldn't get near it without turning orange. Since I always wanted to try making a patina I thought this was my chance. I'm going for a worn patina versus an old rusty found-in-a-field patina. The paint is so thin that I'm able to remove it with acetone and a scratch pad, which I like because it doesn't leave sanding marks. Here's what I've done so far..

Attachments
front-old-new.jpg (151.89 KB, 215 downloads)
hood patina.jpg (126.3 KB, 218 downloads)
patina fender 2.jpg (120.83 KB, 217 downloads)
patina hood pad.jpg (171.18 KB, 209 downloads)

Last edited by e9coupe; 08/24/2018 6:01 PM.
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 671
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 671
I think it will look Great! Either way a huge difference in looks.


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Hi all,
I love this look, too (and have been loving it before it was trendy...)!
My truck showed a mixture between "found in the desert" and "found on a scrapyard", I had to weld quite a few cracks in the sheet metal (hood and fenders), so I added some anti-corrosive paint spots. I had to carefully sand the body, acetone or thinner were too aggressive. Same with the matte clearcoat spray, it led to crinkles. So I used synthetic resin varnish and a paintbrush. The result is worth all the effort, I think.
Greetings.
Sven
Attachments
IMG_1003.jpg (72.45 KB, 169 downloads)
DSC02458.jpg (81.03 KB, 167 downloads)


Best wishes
Sven
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by mototreiber
Hi all,
I love this look, too (and have been loving it before it was trendy...)!
My truck showed a mixture between "found in the desert" and "found on a scrapyard", I had to weld quite a few cracks in the sheet metal (hood and fenders), so I added some anti-corrosive paint spots. I had to carefully sand the body, acetone or thinner were too aggressive. Same with the matte clearcoat spray, it led to crinkles. So I used synthetic resin varnish and a paintbrush. The result is worth all the effort, I think.
Greetings.
Sven

That's awesome! Do you have anymore photos outside? I'm curious how the rest looks and what you have on the door...

Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2018
Posts: 16
Here's the door (and many others!), scroll to the bottom.
I'll create a website on the restoration of this truck and post the adress here, think it'll take a couple of months frown
By the way: I already created a website for my last project, an electric conversion and restoration of a 1968 MGB GT: Look!

Last edited by mototreiber; 08/30/2018 8:07 PM.

Best wishes
Sven
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by mototreiber
Here's the door (and many others!), scroll to the bottom.
I'll create a website on the restoration of this truck and post the adress here, think it'll take a couple of months frown
By the way: I already created a website for my last project, an electric conversion and restoration of a 1968 MGB GT: Look!

Very cool. The town on your door is about 4 hours from me. I'm considering putting this logo on my door. It's a local freight company from many years ago...

Attachments
logo on truck 2.jpg (226.91 KB, 83 downloads)


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0