| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Woodcmiami),
86
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,513 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 9 | Hey everyone. I have a 67 gmc c10 with a 327 engine and 4 speed manual transmission I recently started fixing up. I can’t seem to figure out why the gears keep grinding every time I downshift. It shifts up perfectly. Downshifting from 3 to 4 works ok and gets progressively worse as you go down. I end up having to stop before shifting up again. Does this mean the clutch or clutch brake is going out? Would the whole engine and trans need to come out for a fix? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
1954 Chevy 3800
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,441 | Is the clutch properly adjusted? If it is, then, time to replace clutch/pressure plate.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | How do you DOWN shift from 3 to 4? What kind of lubricant are you using? If someone has convinced you to use synthetic lube, the synchronizers probably can't get a grip. Be sure the clutch is adjusted correctly and there's no hesitation or grind when you try to engage a gear from a full stop.
Assuming you're running a SM-420 truck transmission (not a Muncie or a Saginaw car trans) I hope you're aware there's no way to downshift to 1st. while moving- - - -that one's not synchronized. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 9 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2016 Posts: 9 | Sorry I meant downshifting from 4 to 3. Going from 3 to 2 is way harder than it should be. I havent changed the trans fluid which could be a limiting factor. What kind should I put in it? It doesn’t seem to hesitate or grind when it starts moving. I will check the clutch for adjustment and see where that leads to.
I think the transmission is a 420 from the looks of it.
Thank you
1954 Chevy 3800
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | What are you accustomed to driving? Transmission might be perfect but your expectations or technique may need adjusting. My GMC for example shifts nicely, but not nearly as quickly as my VW.
If you match speeds by giving it just the right amount of throttle while passing neutral on the down shift it’ll shift easier, and make shifting possible if the synchronizers are worn. If they’re plumb worn out you can still shift by letting the clutch up in neutral, match speeds, clutch again and complete the gear change, it’s called “double clutching”. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,835 | Regular 90 weight mineral oil gear lube (not hypoid lube) is the best choice. Some of the highly touted synthetic gear oils are so slippery the brass blocker rings in the synchronizers can't grab the cone clutch area on the gears, resulting in grinding gears on a downshift. For the synchronizers to work properly, there can't be any power transmitted to the cluster gear by the clutch- - - -it needs to be fully disengaged. There's a lot of inertia in those big heavy gears, so don't expect a 420 to shift like a sports car- - - - -it ain't gonna happen.
I learned to drive big rigs on a B-73 Mack with a 5 X 3 setup with two shift levers- - - - -both crash boxes with no synchronizers. The only time we used the clutch on that rig was for starting and stopping, and grinding a gear was a rare occurrence. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |