The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (classicchevs), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,474
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
I am wanting to change the lighting to LED for the parking lights and also use the lights as part of the turn signals. Can someone that that traveled this path share their experiences?
Thanks,
46Sparky

Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
I made my parking lights also turn signals. I did not use leds but nothing very magical about leds. The first thing to know is you need a different type of flasher as leds don,t draw enough current to heat the bi-metalic strip in a standard flasher. You then need to know the voltage 6 or 12. Leds are sensitive to voltage. Led arrays typically have a voltage limiting device and may have current regulation as well. You will probably have to mount an L bracket under the lens to hold the led array you choose. Depending on your turn signal set up and if you still want parking lights you might need two circuits. I made a new terminal strip for the fender a 4 pole.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
The largest selection of LED lighting for vehicles is probably ar Superbrightleds.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/search/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/6v/

These are later bulbs (for bulb codes), but do any of your bulbs match any of these bulbs?

Signal flashers for LEDs are available (6v LED flashers are rarer - maybe someone will post helpful information of a successful first-hand experience?)
Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Flasher-Negative-Vehicles-Memotronics-ELF33-6/dp/B06XSLDP53

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
One of the reasons I am considering the LED option is I’ve seen comments elsewhere the milky white glass used in the parking light bezel assembly reduces the lights brightness. Is that a correct understanding?
I did look into the bulb options in the link Tim suggested. That looks like a viable parts source too. I am uncertain about the bulb size that was used for the 6 volt socket parking light originally. The socket is much smaller diameter than the tail lights. Also, the truck has been now been changed to a 12volt system.
Thanks for the info and any additional comments, guys.

Last edited by 46Sparky; 04/18/2018 10:06 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 775
Not sure how you are wired now. The oem light switch turns on the parking lights at the position before the headlights and off in the head light position. If you're wired this way the best option is a two contact socket if your looking for an led bulb. This is what I did but other possibilities exist.

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
V
VEW Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,002
Thanks for the info in this thread. Hope to get to this point this season!


~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it in the DITY Gallery
1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~ moved on to fellow Bolter

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
The wiring for the parking lights isn’t completed yet and the headlight/parking light assembly is on the bench. Wiring to the switch is installed and mounted in the dash. Access to most everything related to the lights and turn signals addition is readily available.
I am thinking as a preferred option, of substituting use of the parking lights as originally used and use that hardware in as much as possible for turn signals instead. My preference would be to keep this as simple as feasible and avoid cutting etc. Ideally, the fix would a simple plug and play, much like the rear taillights I used.

I found the parking light bulb size for the original 6V system was. #55, 2 amp bulb.

Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 1
G
Moderated
Moderated
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2022
Posts: 1
LED light bulbs have proven to be effective in all types of lighting. I doubt that now you can find many people who will stand their ground and say LEDs are overrated. Often you don't even notice when you use LEDs smile Over time, they only get better and more interesting. I placed LEDs in the car, apartment, and even ribbons on the veranda https://www.vont.com/product/smart-strip-lights-led-strip-lights/. Because I really like that I can adjust the lighting modes that are convenient for my eyes.

Last edited by gerasd; 06/14/2022 9:28 AM.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0