I'm planning to change the torque ball seals on my '50 3100 and grabbed a ball from a parts driveline to try to save time when my truck is apart. It cleaned okay but there are some marks in it that appear to be from the forming process. Is this normal or should I try to work them out? They look like they've always been there, I'm thinking I'll just put the worst of them facing up unless someone has some insight? I'll compare to the one in the truck when I take it apart.
** I think the area that the cork seal would seal against would be about the only area of concern for me. I would want that portion of the ball just about as smooth as it could be. Other wise you might have a unwanted drip of gear oil more often than you would want. **
"Is this normal or should I try to work them out?"
No, its not normal and Yes, you should try to work them out. Read #2 in first column. Or if deeply scored replace Any roughness could tear the cork oil seal. Looks rust pitted. Cars and trucks use the same ball housing regardless of tranny type. Check attached for instructions
Illustration Power Glide Transmission Rear Pump Section
Note: Powerglide & Hydramatic trans, use a 6 bolt hole ball collar, 3 & 4 speed trans. use a 4 bolt hole ball collar
You shouldn't have trouble finding a very usable, smooth one if you put a post in the Truck Parts Wanted Forum. I would not try to fix the one in your picture.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
I'll check the one in my truck first. Mine isn't leaking from the ball but from the smaller seal behind it. The reason I thought this one would be usable is that it wasn't even rusty when I removed it, just greasy. It wasn't until after I wiped all the grease off that I noticed the imperfections.
Looking at your picture, it looks more like metal-to-metal scoring rather than rust. It would be difficult to smooth out the rough areas while maintaining the spherical shape.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission