The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (ShopRag, Bill Hanlon, fonz8261), 141 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,337
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
It's time to choose a radiator for my 1949 3100 project. It has a 1957 235 with a short shaft water pump from Classic Chevy parts.com. I plan to install air conditioning and would like to get as much cooling as I can but have read that the 4 core or "desert cooler" radiators may have interference issues but no one ever says just what those issues are. I'm assuming that it has to do with the stock fan being too close to the radiator? I have tried the search function and found several mentions of people using the 4 core but no mention of interference or fitment issues. I just don't want to have to ship this thing back or toss it on the swap meet pile after it doesn't fit. I also emailed Jim Carter to ask but got no response. Any insight or advice?

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
I had this radiator in my '47 when I was running a GMC 228. The front-end sheet was modified by the PO to make the radiator fit. Here's a picture with my 1955 235 in the '47 with the old radiator with a trans cooler. Obviously, the fan wouldn't fit. Here's a picture of the standard radiator with the fan installed. I believe the larger radiator is for use with a V-8 which is a shorter engine.
Attachments
Radiator with Trans Cooler.jpg (94.15 KB, 180 downloads)
Standard Radiator.jpg (87 KB, 177 downloads)


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
Whatever clearance you need can be obtained be moving the radiator fwd in the core support like GMC trucks.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Thanks for the pictures, that helps a lot. Do you know if you have a short shaft water pump? It looks like you do in the picture. It looks like I'd be better off trying the 3 core as I really don't want to cut up too much of the stock sheet metal or run an electric fan.

Last edited by Zenwren; 03/18/2018 12:27 AM.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
The factory Desert Cooler radiators do no stick out any further than the stock ones. If they did, how would they ever work from the factory?
The extra thickness of the desert cooler is towards the front of the truck, inside of the support. I have one and can confirm this.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 50
From the research I did I thought the extra thickness fills out the remaining space below the top tank towards the engine. The pictures HandyAndy posted appear to agree with this. Do you remember where you bought yours? I'm not sure how you could move much forward with the top tank being so close to the top of the radiator support, but if you've got one that was a drop in replacement I'd love to find one.

Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Former BMW Rider
Former BMW Rider
Joined: Dec 2013
Posts: 789
Yes, I have a short shaft water pump with the re-location plate installed. FYI, the wide radiator measures 20" X 19 3/4" X 2 5/8" (ME355). The standard radiator measures 20" X 19 3/4" X 2" (78-011).


Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3104
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"I proudly Stand for the Flag and Kneel for the Cross" Unknown
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
Originally Posted by Zenwren
From the research I did I thought the extra thickness fills out the remaining space below the top tank towards the engine. The pictures HandyAndy posted appear to agree with this. Do you remember where you bought yours? I'm not sure how you could move much forward with the top tank being so close to the top of the radiator support, but if you've got one that was a drop in replacement I'd love to find one.
My Desert cooler came from a 2 ton truck. I had to modify the top strap of the radiator support to make room for the thicker top tank. Everything else fit.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I honestly feel that a 2 larger row radiator is far better in cooling as compared with a small 4 row one.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0