The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (baldeagle, Southerntruck, Hanks custodian, Woodcmiami, J Lucas, Rusty Shackleford, TooMany2count), 79 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,133
Posts1,056,398
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
I have a '48 1/2 ton Chev. and after attempts of using new hinges, shims and hinge modifications I still can't achieve a uniform margin/space on the leading edge of my driver door.
It's extremely tight in the mid section. I had a new cowl panel installed and needless to say it's not the best installation. I don't believe the sheet metal guy ever put a straight edge to the panel before
welding the panel in place.

My question is can I grind down the leading edge of the door 1/8-3/16 and then re-weld the seam?
The doors are solid and primed.

Thanks
Jeff

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Here are a couple photos
Attachments
IMG_1330.JPG (50.3 KB, 157 downloads)
IMG_1331.JPG (62.56 KB, 156 downloads)

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
If you believe the TV guys your solution is the way to go. Good luck.


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Thanks

Guess I don't understand the "TV guys" statement!

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
What does the gap at the rear of the door look like?


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Carl

Beside the belt line being low I have a uniform 1/8", tends to widen up a bit along the window frame.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
“TV Guys” refers to all the custom builder shows on TV these days, ie; Bitchin Rides, Fast n Loud, Chop Cut Rebuild, Gearz, etc.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
There is a golden rule about cab repairs on these trucks.
Start with the doors, then make the cab fit around them.
You currently don't have a good fit at the cowl, and your belt line doesn't match at the rear, and the gap widens along the window frame.
I don't see how cutting and welding the leading edge of the door will fix the issues of trailing edge of the door.
What I have done when facing this very problem, was to adjust the door for a perfect fit at rear (parallel gap, lined up belt line).
Then determine what the issues are at the cowl, then alter the cowl to match the leading edge of the door.
It is too late now, but the way to avoid this issue when replacing a cowl is to temporarily attach the cowl with little self-tapping screws, then install the door. This allows you to unscrew the cowl if the door doesn't fit.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 106
I'm at this point now with my COE. My cowl is Cleco'd in for now. I think I'll need to get some self tap flatheads to clear the door when open and closed. Then I need to follow the Carl suggestion. Gap the back. Tack some supports to keep the door gapped correctly when taking it on and off. Then adjust the cowl and pillar to fit. I hate doing bodywork but I intend on winning this war with my truck!


"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
52 Carl

Thanks for the advice, the fabricator had both doors, but evidently forgot to use them.
I realize it's too late now, I've realized that for some time.

My problem is how to 'fix" the issue. (besides attaching a new cowl.)

Thanks again

Signed
Frustrated
Jeff

Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
As painful as it may be sometimes rework from square one is the best overall option. Most, if not all of us here have been in the same spot with one or another tasks on these metal chunks at one time or another. From my learning experience in reassembling my ‘46, one step leads to the next and they all have to fit properly or the ripple effect for problems just grows. My guess in this case door alignment problems will at some point lead to door latch problems, which will lead to locking problems, along the way rocker panel fit might add to the adventure and then will come fender, hood and grill alignment challenges. Good luck and keep us posted.

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Sparky

Thanks for the great and very useful response ! Painful is an understatement, but I'm sure I'll get over this obstacle too. Latches are rebuilt and the strike plates ready to install, but I'd have to
agree that I need to do some more adjustments prior to their installation.

Have a great weekend

Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 149
Finally got the latch and striker plate installed and the door closes great! Yeah!
Before removing the door I drilled 2 small holes thru the door panel and both hinges so I could insert a #6 finish nail
in the hole for future alignment after I'm done grinding and welding the leading edge.
After removing approx. 3/16" and re-welding the seam I finally ended up with a margin I could live with.
Attachments
IMG_1351.JPG (7.71 KB, 106 downloads)


Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0