The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (tclederman, 68ironhead, 3B, GMCJammer51, Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, Jon G, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1252042 01/22/2018 4:41 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
This past Sat. I had the chance to jump in the 63 ( known as Patsy Cline) and get a few miles under Her,, the first things noticed was the speedo was very jumpy but the longer the ride the more steady she read. I have no odometer? and I seemingly always show EMPTY even after a gas tank I just filled, Over all it was enjoyable I met another Bolter " Mike" by happenstance and "Hambone" came bye and looked the truck over He even jumped behind the wheel and took Her for a spin,, I knew the rear shocks were trashed so Sunday after Church I installed the new ones,, checking off the problems as I get time,, If anyone can offer some trouble shooting on the gas gauge and speedo /Odometer I welcome the help,, Thanks


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
6
'Bolter
'Bolter
6 Offline
Joined: Apr 2010
Posts: 436
Check for a bad ground. The sending unit provides a path to ground from the gauge through the sending unit to ground. Thes trucks are old. Look for rust around the sending unit bolts and the bolts on the straps that hold the tank in place. That's where your ground is established.

Also, make sure you have power at the gauge.

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
Thanks 62stick!


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Lube the speedometer cable. Simple 10 minute job. Probably won’t help the odometer though.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
what is the best easiest side to remove for the lube job?


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Joined: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,063
Originally Posted by BoToepfer
what is the best easiest side to remove for the lube job?

you need to disconnect the cable at the speedometer end. The inner cable will not come out from the other end.


Mike
1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!) sold September 2023
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Disconnect at the rear of the speedo and use the speedo lube kit from your favorite FLAPS. Put the cable back on and drive. If still not right you will have to remove both ends and pull the inside cable out. Spray some brake cleaner (use the plastic straw) in the housing til it flows out the bottom. Let set for awhile while you clean the cable and coat in graphite lube. Slide the cable back in the housing and reconnect both ends. Good luck.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 155
THANKS !


I have a 55 second gen!,, work in progress
1963 long bed step side driver
Just a guy who digs old trucks!

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0