Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Shaffer's1950, 1 invisible),
117
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,464 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 5 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jul 2010 Posts: 5 | Hello,
I am planning to use a T5 from a 94 or so S10. I read that was the first year the world class was uswd in the S10. Previous were NWC. My question is will it fit a 48 GMC belhousing? The truck had a '55 Chevy 235 bolted to original drive train. Any info is appreciated. Also, I am looking for WC T5 that will work for me. Thanks | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 240 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 240 | It will require an adapter and they are available from several vendors here.
You Learn more Listening than Talking
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 19 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 19 | Go to 5speeds.com. The world class T5's were introduced in the late 80's. Also, the 82-92 T5's bolt right up to the Chevrolet/GMC bellhousings. In some cases you have to have a spacer betwen the trans and bellhousing, or cut some material off the end of the pilot shaft, and also the throwout bearing sleeve. This depends a lot on the clutch disc you use. On my first conversion I used an S10 9" disc and the center hub of the disc was thick enough to require cutting the throwout shaft. I have since changed over to two Camaro T5's one WC and one NWC. If you can find a pre 87 S10 tailshaft housing, you can build a Camaro WC with the shifter in nearly the same place as the original 4 speed. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 1,456 | S10 never got the WC trans, only NWC. These were 173ci (2.8L) v-6, inline 4 gas & diesels. Many of us run them in 1/2 pickups behind inlinesand they seem to hold up well. Later S10 (4.3 v6) used NVG3500 while 4cyls got NVG1500.
BC 1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc 1949 GMC 250 project in waiting 1960 C60 pasture art Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022 | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Like Freak says, if you make a few modifications you will not need an adapter. The WC t-5 was used in some 93-95 S-10s. I have 2 of them. The 89 up & some 88 had the electronic speedo drive. You cannot use the original speedo with them without a special converter that is expensive. The NWC T-5 is just about as good. I have used them behind 350 v-8s with no problems. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 193 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2012 Posts: 193 | Wrenchbender, I see you stated that you have used the T-5 trannys behind the chevy v-8's with no problems. My son and I will be putting a pretty stout 350 in our 51 1/2 ton. We are still undecided on the tranns, although we do already have a T-5 out of a donor S-10 that we picked apart for parts. Were the V-8's you used stock or no? Also, were you pretty easy on em' or did you drive it like you stole it? We plan on hard acceleration and plenty of low end power. I believe our donor S-10 was a 1989 and it does have the electronic speedo drive . (yuck) I do not want to buy the converter, expensive. Also, we like the original gauges that came in the truck. Would a competent tranns shop be able to open up the tailshaft and change it over to mechanical drive? If it is not too hard, we could even do it. Any sugestions? Thanks, Brian and Grant
1952 GMC model 473 dump truck 1951 Chevy 1500 stepside
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I use the basic Goodwrench 350 with Edelbrock intake & Q-jet 4brl. Stock ramhorn ex. manifolds with duals. I don't drive them hard but I do put my foot in it once in a while. I wouldn't recommend the T-5 for heavy duty service but the Mustang guys don't baby them. To change to the mech. speedo you have to get the speedo gears & the rear housing from the earliar mech. drive model. If you find one of those you might as well use it. They are getting hard to find lately. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 19 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2008 Posts: 19 | Remember that the T5's were originally behind the 305 HO V8s and some 350s in the B body cars (Camaro & Firebird). These T5'sw used a larger (21 or 26 Spline?) Input shaft and would handle more Torque as long as you're not talking 15 inch wide slicks on a Posi rear end and running at the strip every weekend. I'm running a NWC T5 behind a hot rodded GMC 270 (.080 over, Venolia 9:1's,Cam , & Edelbrock 4 Barrel. Been abusing it every chance I get with a 3.42 single track rearend and 275.70 tires with no problems for nearly a year. Before that I had a Camaro WC behind a GMC 302 with all the same and 3 Ford 94's on a Howard Intake for about 6 months with no troubles. Hope that answers your questions. Finally you really need a 82-86 S10 tailshaft housing and shifter on the Camaro transmission to move the shifter up where it belongs. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 | I am installing a wc t5 1993 s10. I have it all ready to go. Just noticed that the bolt pattern is different on my bellhousing after pulling the 4 speed ? I know it is a 55 Chevy 235 in the truck with a 4 speed. What gives? What bellhousing do I need ? This is in a 1941 Chevy 1/2 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 1,366 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2013 Posts: 1,366 | I have a 1993 WC T5 from an S10, 5th is .72 and it bolted up to my stock 1951 bell housing (after the 4 bolt holes in the tranny were opened up to 1/2" (as I recall, should have said to the stock 1951 bolt size). I do believe that in 94 the S10 T5's had the Ford bolt pattern. Could be that's what you have.
RonR
1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear 1970 340 Duster 1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain) 1964 CJ5
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 | I have a 93 WC t5. Chevy bolt pattern, the 42 bellhousing is almost a square bolt pattern with a smaller center hole. I think from what I’ve found I need a 47-53 truck bellhousing. Spacer is out of the question now as it has been modified already so 3/4” spacer would pull it back too far. My apologies I did not intend to steal this thread. First time I have posted. I started a new thread. 1993 was the last year for the Chevy bolt pattern. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I had an early 90's, I think 93-94, T5 that came out of a 4 cyl. S10. It had the Ford style bolt pattern. So yes, you will need an adapter to change it to the GM style. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 | I have the gm bolt pattern, I have the old style 42 truck bellhousing that has a square bolt pattern. I did find an adapter to convert it. It moves the transmission back 3/4”. I would like to find a bellhousing that will fit. I think it’s the 47-53 Chevy truck. Same mounts, same clutch /brake mounts. Thank you.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | The pic that Whitedog linked to has a FORD lot pattern. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 | Correct that is the ford pattern , mine is the Chevy pattern. My bellhousing has a smaller bolt pattern on the bottom. I found a 53 bellhousing with the Chevy bolt pattern. Thank you for all the help | | | | | Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2017 Posts: 23 | Picked up a bellhousing tonight for a 53 truck. Back on track. Trans,mounts all fit. Thanks all for your help. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | Another way to handle this problem is to drill and tap 1/2-13 threads that mirror the truck bolt pattern in the bellhousing in the front mating surface of the trans, might have to adjust retainer diameter, too.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 | I have a chance to pick up a NV1500, from a '98 s10, will this work with the '56 straight 6? | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 1,775 | I don’t believe the NV1500 will work on anything but what it came out of. Does it have the bellhousing cast into the transmission case? If so, it’s a no go.
GM started changing their lineup in the mid 90’s. I know T5’s are getting harder to find in the salvage yards.
Dodge and Jeep had versions of the NV1500, NV3500, and AX15. Novak makes Adapters for GM bellhousing.
Chevy Colorado’s and Canyons had AR5/MA5 transmissions. Toyota had the R154. FYI, They all share the same mounting flange as the Jeep transmissions. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 400 | I'll be looking at it later today. | | |
| |