| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,099 Posts1,056,508 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 | Hi all,
I'm digging into the transmission of a 46 half ton. First of all, I'm interested in getting more info about the casting and serial numbers. Less info seems to be available online than for the engine. Casting number is 591195 which is from 41-46 but what does the GM2 identify? The serial number also has a DO at the beginning, does anyone know what those stand for?
Also, I'm looking for some rebuilding resources besides the shop manual. I'm more visual and am newer to this. YouTube is failing me on this specific transmission. There are plenty of videos on different transmissions, but does anyone know of any other resources for the 591195 top load 3 speed manual transmission?
Thanks! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | "DO" is a Muncie 3-speed transmission. I believe GM2 identified the master mold used to cast that transmission... Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 | Thanks Mike, that was the one thing piece that I was missing. Are all of the 3 speed Muncies the same inside? ie are the gears the same from column to floor shift? I've seen a number of rebuild videos and wasn't sure if there was variation. Thanks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | I can't answer that without a lot of research, which you can do yourself at Keith Hardy's web site. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/Chevrolet used Muncie, Toledo and Saaginaw transmissions in the 3100 trucks and I don't know them well enough to know if each type was available as column and/or floor shift. Does anybody know what RPO-318 is in 1946? Mike B 
Last edited by Mike B; 01/03/2018 4:55 AM. Reason: spelling
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Thanks Tim! Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2017 Posts: 24 | Thanks all. I have a shop manual on the way, but have used the online versions for other things. Will have to continue to dig into it to grasp the specifics of what I have. I'm sure more questions will surface and appreciate your background. | | |
| |
| |