The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,679
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1246172 12/08/2017 4:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
can any of you tell me what GM part numbers I need to replace all 12 rocker arms. I think I need 3 each of 4 different ones--Thanks Bill 49-3100

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
F 54 Z

Flint Michigan built engine
1954 year
Z = Passenger Car with manual transmission (mechanical lifters)

1954 car & truck mechanical-lifter 235s should have same valve train parts?
Yes, they are the same rocker arms.

Just to confuse things, the rocker-arm part numbers change in the 1957 parts book, but the same rockers were listed for 54-57.

If you are going for later rocker arms, wait to hear from others regarding compatibility. I'll bet that any 1954-and-later full set of 235 mechanical-lifter rocker-arms will work OK?

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
Tim--thank you--engine in for rebuild, back after Christmas--Have rebuilt 848 head but want new rocker arms-Thanks Again Bill

Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 308
Looks like we don't need new rocker arms--They are polishing the Rocker arm Shafts as they appear to have very Little wear--Thanks Bill

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bill,

Will they look at the (smooth) the surface on each rocker arm where the rocker arm touches the valve stem?

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 13
I realize that this thread ended last year. But I would like to add to it with a follow up question.
I have a 1954 chev 235 pickup I am rebuilding. When I took the valve cover off I noticed one of the rocker arms are broke. I may have located another assembly but it is on a 1957 panel. I believe it has a 235 in it. Does anyone know if that will be the same rocker arm? Like someone mentioned earlier it looks like the casting number will be different but will is it the same part? Would I be better off putting the entire rocker arm shafts in my pickup? Are they compatible? For some reason these rocker arms are very hard to find.


1954 Chevy 3100
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
I can’t directly answer your question but I can tell you that you should not use a rocker arm or rocker assembly from the 59 and up motors. In 59, the oiling system was changed to provide a more direct feed from the main lifter galley for the oil to the rockers (as opposed to bleeding oil from the rear cam bearing), enlarging the oraface in the head to provide a greater volumn under slightly greater pressure, and used a pinched off connector between the two rocker assemblies. This created a sort of pressurized system that was less prone to clogging up then the 54-58 version of the 235. Keep in mind that the rockers still needed to only dribble oil, not spit, but dribble. With the higher pressure and greater column, gm then modified the rockers. So if you look inside the rocker of a 54-58 rocker arm, you will notice that there is a groove machined inside the rocker arm and that the groove directly intersects the dribble hole drilled in the rocker arm. If you look at a 59 and up rocker arm, you will discover that the groove is now offset from the dribble hole. This is how gm dealt with the extra volumn and pressure so you should avoid using a later rocker on an earlier motor.

Last edited by Dragsix; 02/26/2018 4:26 AM.

Mike

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0