Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,143 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#12454 08/18/2004 7:32 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 587 | My big truck has dual master, one for clutch. I found one just like it, cept the Brake bore is 1-1/8" and is 1-1/4" on orig. Orig was $180, this other one is $37 rebuilt. NOW, my brake man says it won't work, that 1/8" is a BIG diff in hydraulics. He says I won't have enough push left in pedal to stop the truck as it was meant to be. Any other opinions? I'm gonna try it, I'm cheap! Might be buying correct one if don't work, and spend MORE than just using correct. Anyone else ever mess with bore sizes not being orig? Results?
G.L. Grumpy's Old Iron Ranch Huntington, IN 46750
MM R tractor, Speedex and Power King tractors
| | |
#12455 08/18/2004 8:59 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 | GL you could always have the bigger one sleved to make it a 1" bore. Just an idea.
Wasn't there a write up about this in one of the Vintage Truck magazine. I will have to go home and look for it. I think it was 1 or 2 issuses ago.
Brian Moore 1949 3100 5 window Deluxe "Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow" | | |
#12456 08/18/2004 9:13 PM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | If I understand your post correctly, you're reducing the diameter of the master cylinder by 1/8"? Yes, your mechanic is right, raise your insurance coverage limit, and try to hit something cheap! You won't be able to displace enough fluid to get the brake shoes firmly into contact with the drums, without pumping the pedal, or adjusting the shoes way too close to the drums. I'd definitely advise against that fix! The first accident is going to cost a LOT more than the difference in the parts cost. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#12457 08/18/2004 9:42 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 988 | opps my bad I thought you were increasing your bore not decreasing. Size does matter! Sorry for my error.
Brian Moore 1949 3100 5 window Deluxe "Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow" | | |
#12458 08/18/2004 10:03 PM | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | I hate to disagree with hot- rod. He is very sharp at this stuff. Reducing the size of the master cyl. will give you more brakeing power. I don,t think the additional pedal travel will be noticable. I,d try it.  They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
#12459 08/18/2004 10:13 PM | Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2002 Posts: 127 | "The bigger the master cylinder is, the more fluid you get but you'll have less pressure at the caliper" (from Speedway Motors)
Different application but FWIW I ran in to this because I am putting 4 wheel discs on my truck and using a dual master cylinders. I called Wilwood and they recommended a 7/8" bore for the front and a 1" bore for the rear. More pressure in the front because that is where the braking is. | | |
#12460 08/18/2004 11:00 PM | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 104 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 104 | Vintage Truck in the April issue Bob Adler states that going to a one inch bore will increse the pressure, I changed mine I would say he's correct. old navy 51.................................. | | |
#12461 08/19/2004 1:16 AM | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | If there's enough fluid displaced to get the shoes firmly applied to the drums, the smaller cylinder will require less pedal effort. There's more hydraulic advantage, which equates to less pedal effort for the same braking effect. HOWEVER, and this one's very important, even a slight amount of brake lining wear will allow the pedal travel to increase to a dangerous distance. You'd need to be very careful to keep the brakes adjusted often. I've had problems with a Dodge 1-ton motorhome running out of pedal stroke when a very slightly too-small MC was installed. It almost wrecked us on more than one occasion. The problem turned out to be caused by a MC with a reservoir that was too small for the size of the rear brake cylinders. A disc/drum MC had been substituted for the correct drum-only cylinder. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
#12462 08/19/2004 6:02 PM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Again, Jerry's right. 23% more pressure with the smaller cylinder, but it also takes that much more pedal movement. So if you pedal gets pushed down 4" for brake application now, it will be 5" with the new m/c. If I were doing the work for hire, I wouldn't due to liability issues.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
| |