The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (1955 1 Series, klhansen, John Dlugos, Bill Hanlon, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 219 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,179
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#12454 08/18/2004 7:32 PM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 587
My big truck has dual master, one for clutch. I found one just like it, cept the Brake bore is 1-1/8" and is 1-1/4" on orig. Orig was $180, this other one is $37 rebuilt. NOW, my brake man says it won't work, that 1/8" is a BIG diff in hydraulics. He says I won't have enough push left in pedal to stop the truck as it was meant to be. Any other opinions? I'm gonna try it, I'm cheap! Might be buying correct one if don't work, and spend MORE than just using correct. Anyone else ever mess with bore sizes not being orig? Results?


G.L. Grumpy's
Old Iron Ranch
Huntington, IN 46750


MM R tractor, Speedex
and Power King tractors
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
GL you could always have the bigger one sleved to make it a 1" bore. Just an idea.

Wasn't there a write up about this in one of the Vintage Truck magazine. I will have to go home and look for it. I think it was 1 or 2 issuses ago.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
If I understand your post correctly, you're reducing the diameter of the master cylinder by 1/8"? Yes, your mechanic is right, raise your insurance coverage limit, and try to hit something cheap! You won't be able to displace enough fluid to get the brake shoes firmly into contact with the drums, without pumping the pedal, or adjusting the shoes way too close to the drums. I'd definitely advise against that fix! The first accident is going to cost a LOT more than the difference in the parts cost.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 988
opps my bad I thought you were increasing your bore not decreasing. Size does matter! Sorry for my error.


Brian Moore
1949 3100 5 window Deluxe
"Today is better than yesterday, but not as good as tomorrow"
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
I hate to disagree with hot- rod. He is very
sharp at this stuff. Reducing the size of the
master cyl. will give you more brakeing power.
I don,t think the additional pedal travel will
be noticable. I,d try it. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
4
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
4 Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 127
"The bigger the master cylinder is, the more fluid you get but you'll have less pressure at the caliper" (from Speedway Motors)

Different application but FWIW I ran in to this because I am putting 4 wheel discs on my truck and using a dual master cylinders. I called Wilwood and they recommended a 7/8" bore for the front and a 1" bore for the rear. More pressure in the front because that is where the braking is.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 104
Vintage Truck in the April issue Bob Adler states that going to a one inch bore will increse the pressure, I changed mine I would say he's correct. old navy 51..................................

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
If there's enough fluid displaced to get the shoes firmly applied to the drums, the smaller cylinder will require less pedal effort. There's more hydraulic advantage, which equates to less pedal effort for the same braking effect. HOWEVER, and this one's very important, even a slight amount of brake lining wear will allow the pedal travel to increase to a dangerous distance. You'd need to be very careful to keep the brakes adjusted often. I've had problems with a Dodge 1-ton motorhome running out of pedal stroke when a very slightly too-small MC was installed. It almost wrecked us on more than one occasion. The problem turned out to be caused by a MC with a reservoir that was too small for the size of the rear brake cylinders. A disc/drum MC had been substituted for the correct drum-only cylinder.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Again, Jerry's right. 23% more pressure with the smaller cylinder, but it also takes that much more pedal movement. So if you pedal gets pushed down 4" for brake application now, it will be 5" with the new m/c. If I were doing the work for hire, I wouldn't due to liability issues.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0