Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,140 Posts1,056,467 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2017 Posts: 50 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2017 Posts: 50 | I was discussing the safety of these old trucks with my father in-law today we got talking about the rigid steering column shaft. Are there any options for putting a slip joint or breakaway point to reduce the risk of having a steering wheel cookie cutter you in a head on collision? I'd like to keep my truck as stock looking as possible, but usually willing to make modifications in the name of safety. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Hmmm
I am trying to imagine the kind of accident/collision that that would bend/distort the front frame enough to push that steering wheel enough to make the steering wheel a cookie cutter?
The "collateral" damage would have been deadly enough. | | | | | Joined: May 2017 Posts: 50 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2017 Posts: 50 | Probably true, I just always heard this was a risk with older vehicles with a full length sector shaft. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 106 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2003 Posts: 106 | I know what you mean Zenwren. This video comparison really rocked my impression of the mass/bulk safety impression I've always had of these old cars and trucks. Impala vs. Impala NHTSA
"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.
Robert 55.1 GMC 450 COE 51ish GMC Suburban | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | I rear ended another vehicle in my '63 C10 at speed back in 1981. I was in the number 1 lane of a 4 lane (2 each way with a center turn lane) road when a guy pulled out of the parking lot on my right, crossed the number 2 lane, put one wheel in the turn lane and stopped, blocking my lane, leaving me nowhere to go and barely enough time to hit the brakes before I hit the rear, driver's side corner.
I flew forward (no seat belt) and took the steering wheel in the forehead and across the ribs. I was unconcous long enough to allow witnesses to call the cops and medical responders. Most of the next 24 hours were a blur with only a few memories of rational thought.
It didn't kill me, but I got scrambled a bit. No broken bones or ribs, just bruising and stiff/sore muscles.
I was ok, but the truck was totaled. I bought it back from the insurance company and rebuilt it. I drove that truck for another 6 years before I sold it.
Bottom line, that steering wheel was large enough to distribute the impact to a wide area, thus reducing the impact at any one point.
I did not made any changes to the steering column in my '63, but I did add seat belts. That was also one of the first upgrades I did to my current '62 C10. That incident made me a firm believer in seat belts.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,819 | Growing up around a shop where we did frame straightening in the days before collapsible steering columns and seat belts was a real eye-opener. Cars with relatively minor sheet metal damage had head-sized bulges and even holes in shattered windshields and incredible bloodstains inside. The wreck rebuilders used to hose out the gore, install some new sheet metal, and resell the cars. Now the cars sacrifice themselves to protect the passengers. I've seen more than one steering wheel with the spokes bent and a bloody hub where it was obvious the driver had died, or at least had been seriously injured. Precaution number one- - - -install a seat belt/shoulder harness system. It takes a massive crash to push the steering column back far enough to injure a driver who is restrained properly. That's also a lot less work than redesigning the steering column with a collapsible section. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 38 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 38 | Precaution number one- - - -install a seat belt/shoulder harness system. It takes a massive crash to push the steering column back far enough to injure a driver who is restrained properly. That's also a lot less work than redesigning the steering column with a collapsible section. Jerry Second Jerry's comment. Inertia is the culprit - body keeps going until something (the steering wheel for the driver) stops it. Much better if the seat belt stops one than the steering wheel (dashboard or windshield for passengers). I have a childhood friend that walked, for the last time, to his Opel Kadett and proceeded to drive without his seat belt being fastened into a horrible wreck. He has been in a wheel chair for over 30 years. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 631 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2016 Posts: 631 | Agree seat belts first........the seat belt really helps when the doors pop open in a minor crash. Steering column is only one of many risk points in old cars. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2017 Posts: 326 | My 56 does not have seat belts (yet), and I was riding one day on the passenger side with some boxes in the middle so I was kind of up against the door. Talk about nervous; I told my wife to take all the left turns real slow! I do need to look into getting seat belts for it.
1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | LMC Truck has seat belts for your '56. Here's a link. Seat Belts | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | I prefer 3-point belts. I've installed two sets in my TF trucks (56 & 57). I got them from Juliano's and am happy with them. They take less than an hour to install. I put the 3-point at the doors and lap in the middle. No cutting or welding required and can be done on a finished truck without damage. http://www.julianos.com/Chrome-Lift-Latch-Retractable-Shoulder-Belt-p/jull3pt.htmMike B  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2010 Posts: 436 | Mike B. Much better solution. I like it. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Thanks, Mike,
I think that Deve has an illustrated installation Tech Tip on his website. I'll be using when I get to making my trucks safer. | | |
| |