Don't know if this is the appropriate place for this, but I had to post. Today I installed a temporary seat on the frame and drove my truck for the first time! Only about 50 feet, but I backed it out of my shop, and pulled it back in, and everything worked! Good brakes, smooth clutch, easy steering. The first time it has moved under its own power since 1983! I am thrilled. I'll attach the photos of me in (on) my truck frame. And a big thanks to all the people on this site who have helped me get to this point.
Tim
I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.
You still might like to rope-tie (at least) that seat assembly to the frame (for a little bit of safety). Trust me, I had an untied pair of seats in my 48 Panel truck. It got exciting on a few short trips.
The seat, which is from an old Jeep CJ, is bolted down to several 2x4's, which are clamped to the frame. Rock solid, although I wouldn't want to try driving on my hills with it.
Tim
I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.
Right place or not, Congrats! It is an amazing feeling to hear and drive it for the first time! If you are anything like me, you will be smiling for weeks. Great job! Chris
Yeah, every time I'm lying on my back under the old truck getting dirt and oil and crud in my face while tearing my knuckles up when the wrench slips I tell myself "I'm doing this because it's so much FUN"!
Tim
I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.