The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hotrod Lincoln, Mike B, FishinToms53, Peggy M), 91 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,119
Posts1,056,648
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1240319 10/22/2017 11:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
My son's 46 2 ton needed to be towed a few catering events a few
times the past 2 weeks. It's all back together now and moving on its'
own power again.

Though the last time the truck was towed the ball on the draw bar
came loose. Lucky nothing came apart.

We towed his truck using a tow bar from event to event from the
beginning of July to the middle of October waiting in the machine
shop to get the engine rebuilt.

Only thing different this year was I bought a new draw bar and ball
to use. I do not have a 1.5 wrench. So I asked the neighbor if he
had one of them he said I have two, he's a retired mechanic.

So I brought the ball and draw bar over to his house to get it tightened.
After the initial tightening he doubled up on the wrench and gave it
another tug.

Yes a lock washer was used. The only thing different then I ever did
before, actually he put some never seize grease, saying if this ever
has to come apart it will not be rusted on.

My son is going to bring the draw bar home soon. My plan is to
clean off all of the never seize grease. Then tighten it back up.

Then I thought about using some Loctite on the threads this time.
Though I never used Loctite on a ball hitch before.

Any ideas on why the nut came loose?

Was it the never seize grease?

Is it a good idea to use Loctite on the threads now?

Thanks Jeffrey

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,441
My guess is the grease. I use a 24 inch pipe wrench with a 36 inch cheater bar to tighten them. Loctite might be ok but if you use a new lock washer and plenty of torque it shouldn’t come loose.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 1,904
Would grease on the ball itself prevent friction while turning corners that might start the loosening process. Just a thought (that I've never done).


1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet

34 Years. Now with a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
I always use never seize on all bolting.
It is standard practice in the Nuclear industry.
What holds it together is the bolt stretch when torqued to spec.
Trailer balls are at least 3/4 fine thread grade 8 material and require more torque than you think.
I'm thinking you did not have near enough stretch to keep it in place.
Check this chart out, a zinc plated, non lubed 3/4 fine thread needs to be torqued to 378 Ft. Lb.
Best way to mount a ball is, on the back of the truck and about a 3 foot tool.
Then give it all you got.

http://www.repairengineering.com/bolt-torque-chart.html

Don



1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
I guess we were all typing at the same time.
Wally, I keep my trailer balls greased up all the time when towing.
No pun intended.
It's just a good idea as it is a moving joint.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
I use anti seize, and a high quality 1/2” impact to tighten trailer balls, never had one work loose.

Certainly seen some loose here and there in parking lots, probably they had used a not very long wrench and don’t realize the large torque requirement.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 273
I'm happy nothing bad happened to you.

You didn't say if its a 3-piece ball or not.
I don't know about NY, but they've been illegal in Canada for 30-some years. The were notorious for the nut coming loose, even with lock washers and stuff like loctite, and causing dangerous situations. Don't know why they did that.

100 - 120 ft lbs or so should be more than enough to secure a ball on the hitch with a lock washer.

I'm sorry I can't answer your question if the ball wasn't a 3-piece.
I never heard of solid ball coming loose with proper tightening, even on "big rigs"
IS it a 3-piece.....? If so, get rid it PDQ!






Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
I grease the ball and coupler with moly grease. A dry ball with dry hitch coupler will apply a lot of torque if it binds up. More than you can apply with a pipe wrench.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
If the nut on the hitch ball is 1 1/2", the thread on the ball shank will be 1" NF. That requires a LOT of torque to keep it tight- - - - -like 200 Ft.lbs. or more. I use a 3/4" drive socket and breaker bar, plus all the grunt I can manage on a 3-ft. cheater pipe on the hitch balls on my vehicles. Another option would be to stop at a tire shop that services big rigs, and ask them to use the 1" square drive impact wrench they use to change wheels on big rigs to tighten the ball. Just turn the ball mount 90 degrees in the receiver tube to get better access to the nut.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Jerry is right.
Torque spec on a lubricated grade 5, 1" NF is 528 Ft, Lbs
A three foot leverage will get you well more than halfway there.

For a dry bolt the torque is 704 Ft. Lbs.
Use a four foot leverage on this and you will be good to go
But don't expect to it get back off in 5 years.

A good 1" impact can exceed those torque spec's and you then risk total failure.
Just looked it up and a 1" impact will do over 1400 Ft. Lbs. of torque.

Don
.

Last edited by 2-Ton; 10/23/2017 3:03 PM.

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Good point, Don- - - -just one quick bump with a tire shop impact wrench is all that's needed, so don't let the mouth-breather tire jockey hammer away on it like he does with an 18-wheeler lug nut!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The ball/coupler should be lubed, a hairpin in a .125" or .187" hole under the nut should solve problems.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
2
Moderator
Moderator
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 3,607
Ed
Even with a cotter pin, the ball can still come loose and waller out the stud.
Castle nut would be better.
But in my feeble mind, Lube the threads,nut face and torque to specs.
Remember, you are stretching the stud to keep it tight, not friction.
Sorry, my Nuke side is coming out.

Don


1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
1946 2-Ton grain truck
1946 3/4-ton pickup,
1953 1-ton pickup
1957 1-ton flatbed dually,
1954 Pontiac Straight Eight
Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0