The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
I keep checking on my new brake lines and fittings and almost daily I notice small leaks that I have so far been successful in stopping. Should I Re-Bleed the brakes every time I fix one of these slow leaks?


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 7,440
Not unless you open the system up. If your just tightening the fittings each time you should be okay.🛠


Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily)
‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence)
“I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
I'm doing the tighten loosen tighten loosen tighten trick so I guess I am opening the system slightly.


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Unless the pedal gets spongy, don't worry about doing more bleeding until you've got the leaks under control. You're not likely to get much, if any air into the system by simply loosening a fitting. It might help to find leaky fittings if you prop the brake pedal down and keep a little pressure on the lines for a while, maybe with a piece of broom stick cut off to wedge between the brake pedal and the steering wheel.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
E
Crusing in the Passing Lane
Crusing in the Passing Lane
E Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,096
The broom will still be useful for a shorter person.

Ed


'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Most of the broom handles around my shop tended to be 8" short or so- - - - -about the length of a clutch alignment tool!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
well, I am no mechanic but I would get under the vehicle, clean all brake lines, then put the broom stick trick in
get back under the vehicle and see if I could see the leak, should not be that hard to do..



Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 496
I jacked it up, removed the wheel and tightened up the two possible culprits. I leave it up on jack stands for a couple of days while it's rainy out to see if I fixed it.

I find that one needs not be in a hurry dealing with these old trucks.


1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
the sooner you fixed them the sooner you drive em.. hope you got it fixed.. I hate leaks, so hard to find
because they can go ever where such as coolant and oil... leaking brakes should be a little easier
good luck my friend


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0