Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,098 Posts1,056,162 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 | I keep checking on my new brake lines and fittings and almost daily I notice small leaks that I have so far been successful in stopping. Should I Re-Bleed the brakes every time I fix one of these slow leaks?
1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 7,440 | Not unless you open the system up. If your just tightening the fittings each time you should be okay.ðŸ›
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne (Emily) ‘39 Dodge Business Coupe (Clarence) “I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop! USAF 1965-1969 Weather Observation Tech (I got paid to look at the clouds)
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 | I'm doing the tighten loosen tighten loosen tighten trick so I guess I am opening the system slightly.
1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | Unless the pedal gets spongy, don't worry about doing more bleeding until you've got the leaks under control. You're not likely to get much, if any air into the system by simply loosening a fitting. It might help to find leaky fittings if you prop the brake pedal down and keep a little pressure on the lines for a while, maybe with a piece of broom stick cut off to wedge between the brake pedal and the steering wheel. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | The broom will still be useful for a shorter person.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | Most of the broom handles around my shop tended to be 8" short or so- - - - -about the length of a clutch alignment tool! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | well, I am no mechanic but I would get under the vehicle, clean all brake lines, then put the broom stick trick in get back under the vehicle and see if I could see the leak, should not be that hard to do..
Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2016 Posts: 496 | I jacked it up, removed the wheel and tightened up the two possible culprits. I leave it up on jack stands for a couple of days while it's rainy out to see if I fixed it.
I find that one needs not be in a hurry dealing with these old trucks.
1950 SUBURBAN / SCHOOL BUS A.K.A "THE SCHOOL RUST"
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | the sooner you fixed them the sooner you drive em.. hope you got it fixed.. I hate leaks, so hard to find because they can go ever where such as coolant and oil... leaking brakes should be a little easier good luck my friend Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | |
| |