The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Lostbuthaulinass), 58 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,318
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1224518 07/09/2017 4:49 AM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
Just started on restoring my dads 6400. Need anew master cylinder and front wheel cylinder. I tried searching. I think the master cylinder is mc9220. Is this correct? Does anyone have a part number for the front wheel cylinders?

Also, I believe the grills on these ar the same as the 3100s, is tantamount correct?


1948 6400
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2017
Posts: 50
Check with Jim Carter Truck Parts, they are one of the few places I've found that carry 1 1/2 - 2 ton brake parts: http://www.oldchevytrucks.com

Master cylinder is item #ME166

Front Wheel Cylinder is item #ME130



1953 Chevy 3100 Pickup
1954 Chevy 6400 Grain Truck
1957 Pontiac Transcontinental
1958 Buick Limited 2 Dr
1968 Ford Galaxie 500
1974 Ford F-350 Flat Bed (Dump Bed), former Pioneer Seed Truck.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Jan 2015
Posts: 914
Rock Auto had parts for my 46 2 ton.
And good prices. Jeffrey

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
Rock Auto has master cylinder as Raybestos MC9220 and wheel cylinder as WC 4358. I think these are correct. Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.


1948 6400
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
8
'Bolter
'Bolter
8 Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 311
Red75Bronco why not rebuild the Master Cylinder, and wheel cylinders that you already have? I rebuilt all of my wheel cylinders and my master cylinder on my '48 Loadmaster and had no problems. The most difficult part for me was getting the tension against the drums correct. By the way you should probably replace the rubber brake lines as well.


Curt Warren
Salt Lake City
1948 1.5ton Loadmaster
http://photobucket.com/48loadmaster
801curt #1224932 07/11/2017 12:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
I need to get it the 150 miles here first. I can deal with the master cylinder, but the left front brake I cannot bleed. I have fluid to the cylinder, but nothing comes out of the bleeder even when completely removed. I need to get out there and take the wheel cylinder apart and figure out what's wrong. I would like to have the parts before I go though. Maybe I will get both the rebuild kit and the new and then return what I don't need.


1948 6400
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
If you have removed the bleeder and no fluid comes out, it's far more likely that it is a line or hose issue.
The bleeder is located right above the brake line inlet. The condition of the cylinder would have very little affect on the fluid flowing through.

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
When I loosen the line, I have fluid. I need to pull the when'll off.


1948 6400
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
It will be interesting to see what's inside the cylinder

Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
I don't understand it either. It has been sitting for 10 years. The other cylinders are fine.


1948 6400
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
Brake line plugged or swelled. Couldn't get anything through it.


1948 6400
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
C
New Guy
New Guy
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 8
I replaced the master cylinder on my '51 6400 with:

Dorman M9220 New Brake Master Cylinder ordered on Amazon.com

$83


'64 Ford F-100
'51 Chevy 6400
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2017
Posts: 11
That is the one I use has been working great.


1948 6400

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0