The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Joe H, Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, 1955 1 Series, 68ironhead, mick53), 94 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,624
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Hi Y'all, On a 3/4 ton truck they used the same spring holders that they used on larger trucks. Thus on the 3/4 ton they used spacers to fit a 2' spring where on larger trucks they use a 2 1/2' spring.

My question revolves around whether the spacers go to the inside ( of the truck (as described in the Work shop manual)) or the outside as found originally .


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
According to the shop manual, the spacers go on the inside of the spring. Shop Manual Instruction


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Thanks Truckernix, Your Car and Truck sure look nice.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Truckernix, that's really odd, as my spacers were installed on the outside of the rear springs on my 1950 3600.... and you can't move them inboard without changing the location of the spring perch on the axle, and I am sure that I had a bone stock rear end. The spacer moves each rear spring 1/2 inch, which would be noticed the moment you tried to bolt both leaf springs up!

During my restoration, I actually moved my spacers inboard when I swapped a different axle in, to give me more clearance between a new heavy duty spring plate and the frame (I flipped my U-bolts around so that the curved part went around the bottom of the axle and the spring plate was on top of the spring).


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
Here is a pic of mine before I removed the rear axle: 1950 3600 3/4 ton rear leaf spring spacer


~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2014
Posts: 357
Dave, Sorry for not replying I had Lasic surgery on my eyes. I agree with you. I measured the axle where the springs attach. Then measured the spring hangers and determined that putting the spacers on the outside of the spring was best.


Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0