The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (jmoore, Jon G, tclederman, moparguy), 140 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
I'm using a Husky HVLP spray gun. The gun calls for no higher than 40 PSI. I tried 40 PSI and got a finish that is best described as sand paper. Should I use 30 or 35 PSI? Do I have to sand all of the "base coat" off before I start again? Your suggestions would be appreciated. It has been a long time since I have tried to paint.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785

Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,384
That's a great reference.
Personally I like the trigger stop wide open until all the other adjustments are made. Then adjust it in if it is shooting too wet.
Also make sure your mixture is correct. After decades of using a big glass measuring cup, I switched to mixing cups with all the ratio scales. Takes all the math away.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Manufacturers have a 'psi at the cap with recommended nozzle size' on the can label. Or somewhere in the 'how to use our product' literature. Also a good starting point.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
I tool one of the EPA mandated spray gun classes put on by SATA a few years back. In many cases the MFR recommended pressure settings are less about optimal performance and more about meeting a federal regulation. You may find bumping the pressure slightly beyond what is recommended will give a smoother finish to what may appear as a slight orange peel. I'd also say this would not apply as a fix to your sandpaper finish, first guess would be that your fluid tip is not tight enough to the housing or the seal needs replacing..

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 34
Thank You all for your comments. I especially appreciate Robert's information and am planning on going forward with those specs.

Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
Tighten up that fluid tip first, see if that gets rid of the sandpaper texture. Then fine tune your settings.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
Are you matching the tip size to the paint data sheet?


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0