The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
This purpose of this post is that with it's very specific title, it'll pop up when others search clutch noise when the throwout bearing is known to be good. Hopefully it'll prevent pulling the transmission multiple times (as I did) chasing a noise that sounds like a bad throwout bearing when the clutch peddle is pushed to the floor.

Pre '68 Dave is the Master Mechanic that diagnosed the noise in this thread, Original thread

Following Dave's lead, I found factory specs showing clearance for the pp (pressure plate) locating lugs to pp housing of .002 inch to .008 inch. I checked mine this morning , 1 @ .004, then .009 and .010.

So, with a sharp 1/2" chisel and two lb. shop hammer as my only tools I attacked the pressure plate in an attempt to reduce the excessive clearance. I placed the chisel about 1/8"-3/16" from the edge of the lug slot of the pressure plate housing then drove the chisel into the pp housing with two or three measured hammer blows. I did this at each slot (3), drifted metal toward the slot edges, reducing the lug to slot clearance.

Jumped out from under the truck, cranked it up, depressed clutch....NO NOISE!

Disclaimer, who knows how long this band-aid will last. If nothing else, it proved the noise source was worn slots that looked perfectly fine till checked with a feeler gauge.

If anyone else is tempted to try this, hard to believe but it's a pretty delicate process (as in don't wail away as hard as you can with the hammer) and if you tighten the slots up too much, the clutch isn't going to disengage and you'll have to open the slots back up a bit.

Good Luck, Ron

Edited the lug clearance spec from .006 to .008

Ron

Last edited by moparguy; 03/10/2017 4:34 PM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
moparguy,
Here is a little tip:
To the left of the: Pressure Plate Drive Lug Noise Repair Clutch Noise or the Thread Title
There is a little Icon that looks like a scroll of a piece of paper.
When you put your mouse on it, the mouse pointer changes to a hand.
When you click on the icon, that Post will auto scroll up to the top of the page.
Now the address in the address bar is the address to that individual Post.
In order to link to a Post you have to use the "Create a link to a webpage" (chain link icon)
Just enter in the Post address in the pop up box twice or whatever title you want to call it.
Then it will create a link that you can click on.
Otherwise it will look like the link below, rather than the sample below.
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/1207070/Re:_Noise......clutch_area..html#Post1207070

Sample below:
Pre '68 Dave is the Master Mechanic that diagnosed the noise in this post;
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...Noise......clutch_area..html#Post1207070

As far as the pressure plate.
I had a similar problem but all I was hearing was a clunk when the clutch pedal was pushed in.
It would happen when the truck hit bumps in the road or when accelerating and decelerating.
I never new what the problem was because the pressure plate failed before I could track the problem down.
It sounds like the pressure plate was flopping around inside the pressure plate housing slots.
Illustration and Cover and Pressure Plate Assembly

Where did you find the factory specs showing clearance for the pressure plate locating lugs to housing of .002 to .006 ?

Read this post to see what happened to my truck after they installed a new pressure plate. Talk about a headache!
https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthread...wheel/pressure_plate_ba.html#Post1127794


Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,365
jorb, thanks for the tip! On your question "Where did you find the factory specs showing clearance for the pressure plate locating lugs to housing of .002 to .006 ?"

Well first of all I was mistaken, the spec is .002 to .008", found it here Spec Source

Spec is for a older truck, but I'm thinking it still applies.

Well, I'll have to come back to this "Create a link to a webpage" (chain link icon)" since I'm not seeing the chain link icon.

Well, obviously I found the chain link. Thanks again!

Last edited by moparguy; 03/09/2017 2:05 AM.

RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
It is nice when some of these nagging problems are worked out!


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0