The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (tclederman, 68ironhead, 3B, GMCJammer51, Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, Jon G, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,245
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1206734 03/03/2017 2:51 PM
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 92
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 92
In another thread, I learned that the wheels I intend to use on my 58 1/2 ton short step were phased in during the 1961 model year.
"They are, in fact,15"X 5 1/2-6" 6 lug wheels that have 4 slots and 3 nubs for mounting hub caps and a 3 3/4+- backspace."
I'm now going tire shopping. I want to get radials but don't want any low profile modern looking tires. I've read previously that a 215 75 r15 is a size that will work without clearance issues. Now I'm wondering if those tires will work on my wheels. My truck has all the original suspension and steering components.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations any of you might have on this subject. I'm leaning toward the wide white walls from Coker, which means "mail order" and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks


Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,122
Wallace Wade Specialty Tires in Dallas also sells tires for vintage vehicles and might be worth checking out? Shipping cost would then be eliminated?

Joined: May 2014
Posts: 92
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 92
Thank you Sparky. I will check them out. Gotta figure out the size.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by TimBryant
In another thread, I learned that the wheels I intend to use on my 58 1/2 ton short step were phased in during the 1961 model year.
"They are, in fact,15"X 5 1/2-6" 6 lug wheels that have 4 slots and 3 nubs for mounting hub caps and a 3 3/4+- backspace."
I'm now going tire shopping. I want to get radials but don't want any low profile modern looking tires. I've read previously that a 215 75 r15 is a size that will work without clearance issues. Now I'm wondering if those tires will work on my wheels. My truck has all the original suspension and steering components.

I would appreciate any comments or recommendations any of you might have on this subject. I'm leaning toward the wide white walls from Coker, which means "mail order" and don't want to make a mistake. Thanks
That's about the same wheel/tire I've got on my '52, and love 'em. Go to Tirerack.com, plug in that size tire, there's a lot to pick from in that size. Their site gives all the dimensions of the tire, plus the sample rim size for their measurements, which makes a diff on overall sidewall width...in other words, a narrow wheel will pull in the overall sidewall width, and a wider wheel will increase the width a bit.

Last edited by Skooter; 03/03/2017 6:04 PM.

Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0