| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,108 Posts1,056,567 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 | Hi everyone..
How long do you have to wait until you can apply you first coat of wax after a truck has been painted?
I understand the paint has to cure for a period of time.
1960 Chevy Apache (C10) 1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck 1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 | My paint gut told me 6 months to get the paint good and hard. George | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2006 Posts: 16 | BASECOAT/CLEARCOAT? SINGLE STAGE? ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A SMOOTH SHOW CAR FINISH OR JUST WANT TO WAX IT? FOR A SHOW CAR FINISH (SMOOTH AS GLASS, NO ORANGE PEEL)I WET SAND AND BUFF WITHIN 2 DAYS OF PAINTING BC/CC. I START WITH 1200 GRIT THEN 1500 THEN 2000 GRIT PAPER.THE FINER THE GRIT THE LESS BUFFING YOU WILL NEED TO DO. YOU MAY ASK YOUR PAINTER IF YOU DID NOT SPRAY IT YOURSELF TO WET SAND AND BUFF IT. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH A BUFFER YOU CAN BURN THE PAINT. I PERSONALLY WILL NOT BUFF SOMETHING I DID NOT PAINT BECAUSE I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH CLEAR WAS APPLIED. IF YOU KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO WET SAND AND BUFF THEN YOU PUT A FEW EXTRA COATS OF CLEAR ON IT ,BECAUSE WHEN YOU WET SAND YOU ACTUALLY TAKE OFF A LAYER OR TWO. AT MINIMUM I RECOMMEND AT LEAST 30 DAYS BEFORE A GOOD ORDINARY WAX JOB. HOPE THAT HELPS | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 16 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: May 2006 Posts: 16 | Sorry about the capital letters won't happen again | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2005 Posts: 227 | Thanks for the information! Caps were no problem!
Its a single stage paint. The weather prevented it from drying fast enough so there are a few specs here and there. I am not looking for a show room finish but the roof of the truck is at 'eye' level and makes it easy to see these specs.
I might put a second coat on the roof and try wet sanding.
I still want to wax it later on to protect it so I will wait a minimal of 30 days and maybe up to a few months.
I can remember a paint job on one of my cars taking almost a year to cure. It was funny how it looked great until the defects starting 'sinking' in 6 to 8 months later.
Thanks again!
1960 Chevy Apache (C10) 1965 Chevy C30 Dump Truck 1966 Chevy C30 Tow Truck | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | My brother-in-law just painted his mustang, and he only waited about a week befor he snaded and buffed the finish. He used base/clear on it. I did some touch up work on my '55 and sanded and buffed after only 3 days with no problems. I used PPG single stage paint.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 3,458 | Pretty much every paint data sheet I have read tells you how long to wait before waxing. If you know what brand of paint it is, call your local paint store and ask them. You can usually cut it with polishing compound long before you can wax it. The cutting just has to wait for it to harden enough to actually cut without melting or burning the paint. Wax needs to wait until the solvent finishes outgassing and the polymers crosslink, which takes longer. The last Valspar clear coat I used said 30 days.
Paint & Body Shop moderator A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. | | |
| |
| |