The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Jon G, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 142 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,413
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
I have a 53 Chevy 3600. I have installed a 292 cu. in. 6 and a T5 transmission. I am looking for solutions to attach the accelerator pedal to an Edelbrock 1403 4 barrel carburetor. The solution posted by "Carolinestruck" on May 8, 2006, looks interesting. Has anyone used this solution? Can anyone offer a different solution that works as well as or better than this? I am not too keen on drilling more holes through the firewall to install a mid 60's gas pedal and linkage. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated.


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,826
There have been a few thousand posts in the past 11 years, and some of us old geezers have a bad case of CRS syndrome. Can you bring us up to date a little?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
I have done a frame-off rebuild on a '53 3/4 ton flatbed. Most everything is complete at this point except I need to connect the gas pedal to the carburetor. "Carolinestruck" in a post on May 8, 2006, bolted a plate to the engine block. The plate had a bell crank attached to it. On one end, the gas pedal attached to the top bell crank arm. At the other end, a Lokar cable attached to the bottom arm of the bell crank and terminated at the carburetor. I am wondering if others have used this approach or do they have a better solution.


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
Well, what do you have to work with for pedal and firewall bracket and linkage? Anything? Do you have a pedal with a bell crank that goes thru the firewall? We don't want to start suggestion things until we know what's there already. What are we adapting to, if anything? Pics would be very helpful. If you don't use a cable on the pedal, all the way to carb, you use a bell crank. From bell crank it's either a cable or rod linkage to the carb. I can't see the proximity of components to suggest a method. I always feel good about 100% linkage. No cable.
Where does this idea/comment come from? "I am not too keen on drilling more holes through the firewall to install a mid 60's gas pedal and linkage."
The 60-66 linkage covers it's own hole anyway.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
It will take me a day or two to get photos of my engine well on-line for viewing. I have the stock gas pedal and need to find the linkage that attaches to the bottom of the pedal. I was intending to attach that linkage to the top arm of the bell crank. Leo Santucci's book, second edition, has good block drawings with dimensions showing tapped holes in the block. The plate holding a bell crank could attached to the block at these tapped holes. Here is a link to the photo album showing "carolinestruck" where they used this solution: http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/1951otter


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
You can use a '55.2-'59 gas pedal, and linkage which is designed for a V8. No bell crank needed. Nothing to bolt to the engine. Both are available at classicparts.com.
The linkage bolts to the firewall very near the big indentation in the center (might even straddle it slightly).
The rod which is attached to the gas pedal will help you locate the position for the bracket to be bolted to the firewall.
This bracket does not match the conture of the AD firewall, so I used a stack of washers on one of the bolts to make it work. (I did not feel motivated enough to re-engineer the bracket itself.)
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
B
Sir Searchalot
Sir Searchalot
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,983
I still don't know what a stock gas pedal looks like. Sorry. I don't get how any linkage can attach to the bottom of a pedal? Anyway, bottom line: does the stock assy have a mounting feature to the firewall and does the assy you have penetrate the firewall and is it a pedal and bell crank assy? and is it only missing the attachment from bell crank to carb. (Missing the linkage that is in the engine bay?) If so, I have a bunch of accelerator linkage rods. I can send you one or two. I know TF and 60-66 but not all up on AD.


Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. - William Penn
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Thank you for the feedback, one and all. I have some homework to do so my next post will be in a day or two. Carl, if you have a photo of your solution, I would really appreciate the opportunity to see it. Thanks again, guys.


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
You said no more holes in the firewall but if you use a Ford cable from the last five years or so they had a carburetor then just a 1/4" hole is needed and the plastic cable bracket seals this hole when screwed on with a couple metal screws. Another benefit of this cable it has a built in return spring. The cable can be routed to work a throttle arm that is any position. I can't use Photobucket on Firefox (says "blocked") but if you really would want a picture I can go with what used to be IE, just takes time. Any computer whiz know how to unblock Firefox/Photobucket?


Evan
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 61
Thanks, Evan


Tom B
1953 Chevy 3/4 ton 3600
1964 292 cu. in. in-line six


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0