| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 10 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 10 | I have never worked with windshield glass before. I have a 54 Chev with a broken windshield and a donor 54 GMC with a good windshield. What is the best way to remove the good windshield so that I do not break it? By the By, I will have a nice five window 54 GMC (without windshield of course) for sale soon if anyone is looking for a project vehicle.
'57 3200 with V8 and not much else.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 1,513 | Use a sharp knife and cut through the rubber around the outside. When you peel the rubber away you should see adhesive which needs to be cut off as well and then just lift it out. Don't try to save the rubber or you'll break it for sure. Buy a pair of those suction cups with handles to prevent dropping.
1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod You Tube | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 284 | Call a glass shop and have them remove and install the windshied.When I did bodywork we never did our glass work we let the experts do it.The one time I tried to remove a windshield I broke it. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 427 | I agree with dad6timz have a glass shop do it. OR you can do as IB said but cut the inside of the rubber along the pinchweld and have someone on the outside hold it while you push it out. Those windshields are thick and durable so breaking it shouldn't be an issue (no promise's)
bill | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 887 | It'll cost you about $75 to have someone do all the work (not including the new rubber gasket). That will be $75 well spent when you consider the frustration and hassles you will run into. Call a few glass shops to get some prices before you jump into this one yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, an extra pair of hands when it comes time to do the install will help alot.
'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 18 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 18 | cptchaos, I have sent you an email to your personal account. I will only be able to respond for one day as I am going on course for a couple weeks, if there is a delay in me responding, it's because of this. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 128 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 128 | Hey neighbour, do what IB says on the old glass first ,then see how you feel about trying it on the good one.taking it out is very easy ,it's puttin them in that can be a little tricky! lotsa lube, you can do it!  | | |
| |
| |