Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,119 Posts1,056,317 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 70 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 70 | So I'm finding out that nothings gonna be easy with this truck. Since its new to me, I'm doing some normal tune-up things. Not sure when Grandpa last did much to it. It's a 235 and the book says use 10mm plugs. It currently has Champion UY6 plugs. I'd like to use ACDelco and I get several when cross referencing but it looks like maybe the M8 is the one? I've seen people suggesting the R43 but that's a 14mm plug...maybe for the newer model engine. Any suggestions? When I look the truck up at different parts stores I don't get the option for the 2 ton loadmaster. 1 Ton seems as big as it goes. I would assume the 235 Chevrolet made for these trucks are all the same right? Whether it was a 2 Ton or a 1/2 ton. The wires need replaced as well. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 Crusing in the Passing Lane | | Crusing in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2011 Posts: 5,096 | 10 mm is not correct, try 14 mm.
Ed
'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires. '47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle. '54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed. '55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Ooops, it looks like earlier 216 and 235 engines used different plugs?
1937 - 11mm 1938 - 14mm 1939 - 14mm 1940 - 14mm 1941 - 10mm 1942-46 10mm 1947 10mm
I'll look up and add/edit through 1947.
Last edited by tclederman; 12/28/2016 4:43 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2013 Posts: 331 | I've worked on lots of stovebolts - never seen one with 10mm plugs in it before. My '50 was as original as they come and it has the standard 14 x 1.25 thread plugs in it.
In fact - I've never worked on any engine with a 10mm spark plug in it. And that's saying something - been building engines of all sorts for 35 years.
1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | My 1948 original 216 on a panel truck had the original-spec 10mm spark plugs. I last worked on that engine 45 years ago. I still have the spark plug wrench for it.
As I posted above, by all 1950 and newer 216/235 engines had 14mm spark plugs. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,806 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,806 | I'm currently working on unsticking a "1946" 235 (according to the ID code by the distributor) and it has 10MM plugs. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2015 Posts: 914 | My son has a 46 2 ton with a 235 and the original engine had 10mm and if I remember right the new plugs I put in were a AC M8. Jeffrey
Also keep in mind that some 1947 trucks are 1946 trucks titled as a 1947. As my son's case He has a Art Deco truck and the model number: PW is a 1946 year model number.
Last edited by 32vld; 12/29/2016 4:26 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 70 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2016 Posts: 70 | OK thanks guys. I figured the 10mm was right since that's what the book says and that's the plug that came out of it. My local NAPA has the AC M8 plug. I'll probably give it a shot. Thanks again! | | |
| |