The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Gdads51, 55shaker, Bruce 1954-4100, Hanks custodian), 101 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,253
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
The hood on my 1949 3100 fit really well at the front, bottom sides and rear by the cowling. 1/4" gap all around. Rear of hood sits tight on the cowling seal when closed except at the rear sides of the hood. The rear sides stand off the side cowling about 3/16"-1/4". The center of the rear of the hood sits below the top edge of the cowling by 3/16". Is there a way to adjust the rear sides of the hood and bring them in as well as bringing the rear center of the hood up even with the center of the cowling??

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
There is a bracket under the hood at the rear, in the center. There are bolts with shims under them which can be removed or added to fix your problem. Unfortunately the Shop Manual is sketchy on what adding or removing the shims will do in terms of raising or lowering the center of the hood, or moving the sides in or out. I'll bet it will all be clear to you once you take a look at the bracket/shims.
Carl


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
Karl,

Thank you for the words of encouragement!

I saw the bracket at the back of the center hood that has 4 stovebolt screws and star washers. Not sure how that bracket would raise or lower the center of the hood and bring in the back sides of the hood? Shims? Body shims or washers? Guess I can figure it out, but any advise or suggestions would be helpful! If I remove this bracket will the back of the hood separate?
Can I remove this bracket without causing any further difficulties?

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
It really changes things, believe me...

If I recall in the tech tips section here there are directions.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Originally Posted by fixit1958
If I remove this bracket will the back of the hood separate?
Can I remove this bracket without causing any further difficulties?

Tim


Underneath the bracket, the two hood half brackets are spot welded together. Removing the small bracket won't cause the hood halves to separate.

Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 863
MNSmith,

Thank you for the information on the rear center support bracket on the hood. My hood is sitting low on the cowl at the rear center. The shop manual leave much to be desired explaining what this bracket does. I see that the FSM explains how to adjust if the hood sets high on the cowl by placing washers on the end of the bracket, but not how to adjust if the hood sets low at the center cowling? Anyone had this situation? What was done to correct it?

Tim


"Pay attention to the details! It ALWAYS pays off."

1949 Chevrolet 3100 Series 1/2 ton Pickup
1964 Chevrolet C10 (Ol' Yella) (SOLD)
1958 Chevrolet Biscayne 2 door (SOLD)
1970 VW Beetle
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I would think that if you shimmed it in the direct center of the bracket, it would raise the center.

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
I think remove the outer shims raises the center???


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0