I picked up a junk SM420 that had an intact propshaft brake assembly that matches the one in my '57 3600. I pulled all of the propshaft brake parts to keep them as spares.
I think that there are two versions of these brakes...one for the 3/4 and 1 tons and another for the bigger trucks. Mine has one piece drum that bolts to the tranny output shaft that holds the flange for the u-joint. The drum fits inside a brake band assembly. When engaged, the band snugs up around the drum and locks the propshaft.
I always assumed that friction material on the band was just regular brake shoe lining. I never looked close when I adjust it, just made the assumption. The material in the one that I took apart looks to be some kind of thick fiber webbing that is riveted to the outer metal ring. Maybe asbestos webbing? Here is a picture--
http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...2232_zpsh7iqdoqb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0Anyone know what this stuff is just in case I ever need to put a new liner into the band?
Matt