The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 192 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I'm trying to get the power steering brackets on my 292 and I'm running into problems getting all the pulleys aligned. First I found that a 2-groove water pump pulley I removed from a 250 wouldn't align properly. I think I have a pulley that will work now. Next I found that the alternator will not align properly with the crankshaft pulley. It's off by about 1/2". [IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/jfnar/68%20GMC/IMG_01071_zps8knboxog.jpg[/IMG]
I have 3 other alternators and mounting brackets from 250's and 292's but they're all the same. I can make a new bracket to correct this but I'd like to know what's the correct way to fix it. Is it supposed to have a different mounting bracket or is there a different alternator pulley that will align properly? Thanks for any help.

Jeff


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,798
Yes, there are several pulleys available, or you could just add a spacer behind the pulley you have if there's enough thread left to get a good engagement of the thread. Is there an alternator rebuilding shop in your area? If so, they probably have a good assortment of pulleys available.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 264
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 264
I don't have power steering but the water pump and alternator have double pulleys. Even the the alternator has to be shimmed forward by three washers in its bracket


1952 Chevrolet 1700 Bickle Seagrave
"Old Smokey'"
Following the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,636
All the 292's I have worked on were in 1967 Chevy school buses. They had single groove pulley on water pump and alternator. But the alternator pulley was built so that it was 1/2 out further than the regular alternator pulleys were. Made line up perfect with no spacers and no moving the alternator.

I think I kept one of those pulleys because they were/are hard to get.

Most parts stores didn't know to change them and so many times the customer came back to get the right pulley. Sometimes the alternator had already gone back to the rebuilders and the pulley was with it.

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 486
I don't have any alternator shops close by so I made a bracket out of a piece of angle iron to move the factory lower bracket forward 1/2" and rotate it 90 degrees. The key to making this work well is to keep the axis of rotation in the same place.
[IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/jfnar/68%20GMC/IMG_01181_zpsvnctq22u.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn214/jfnar/68%20GMC/IMG_01161_zps3llfv6th.jpg[/IMG]
It will look better when Rustoleum is applied.


'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0