| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,251 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 4 | I'm currently plotting a DD and had some questions about rear end gearing to suit my driving habits. Without changing the factory 250 and 4 speed transmission, how tall can I go (practically speaking) with rear end gearing?
A typical week will have me driving about 300 miles highway (60 mph), 50 miles in moderate-to-heavy in-town traffic, and about 200 miles on the Interstate. I know the Interstate travel is going to remain problematic, but I'd like to have something better for the highway driving than the 4.10 that was in my last '66.
Thanks! Jim | | | | | Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2011 Posts: 2,951 | If you want better RPMs on the highway, try swapping to a 3.08 rear gear. I'm assuming you don't want to change to an OD tranny. Just for example, if you're doing 65MPH with your 4.10 gear, you might be doing 3088 RPMs. Changing the rear to 3.08 will drop you to 2320 RPMs at the same speed. You will notice less power in the lower gears, but that's the trade off for better highway RPMs.
Last edited by Lugnutz; 09/05/2016 4:00 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 4 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2016 Posts: 4 | Thanks for the reply, Lugnutz!
Other than a shelled-out differential, the truck that prompted my question is in fair shape. I went ahead and made an offer, but even if I don't get it I think I'm going to put some more effort into locating parts for future use. | | |
| |
| |