The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (rfs56trk, tclederman, Gdads51, Wally / Montana, 39Master85, ndkid275), 100 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,376
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1180661 09/01/2016 3:12 AM
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
B
Moderated
Moderated
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2016
Posts: 1
Just recently bought a 1946 1/2 ton chevy pickup and have a question. On the insides of the bed sides is a strip to slide wood under, this strip on both sides is badly rusted and I need to remove and replace. No signs of bolts, are these spot welded in place and what's the best way to remove?
Truck is in pretty good condition for its age and I'm doing a resto/mod.


Steve Rehm
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
If it's like my 1954 I am planing on taking mine off and putting stainless strips on and I was thinking of grinding the spot welds so I would not put holes in the box sides.otherwise would drill making holes in sides that would have to be filled. I guess it depends if you want to save the strip but if yours are rusted out bad I would grind the welds on the old strips.


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 27
R
RJD Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 27
here you go, there is a removal guide in the center of this page that confirms what kevinski said

mar-k angle strip guide

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
When I got my truck (also a 54), the side pieces were already gone, probably for the same reason you are asking about them. The bed side was in great shape except for the area where the bed side strips had been. about 75% of the side had rusted through almost the entire length of the side strip. I took my bed sides to a fabricator and had him cut the bottom of the sides off right above the rusted out line and weld in a newly fabricated bottom. They did an okay job. I had to fill in a little along the weld line where it was not flush. I am trying to decide how to attach the new stainless steel angel strips. If I spot weld them they will discolor at the weld. I am considered drilling and attaching them with Button Socket Head bolts. This would not be an issue except between the back of the fender and the rear of the bed. The nut side of the bolt would be exposed on the outside of the bed. Most of the nuts would be concealed in the fender well for the majority of them. I have put off doing anything because I can't decide on my best option. I will be curious to see how you solve this.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
After reading the mar-k angle strip guide I might go with the spot weld. Even though I paid the extra cost for stainless angle strips if the discoloration is too much I could always paint them to match the body color.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0